My new mower is killing my grass

m2minn

Forum Newbie
Threads
I purchased a husqvarna YTH24V42LS a few weeks ago. I've mowed my lawn twice so far, and each time I've noticed that the mower leaves a few random patches of grass that looks like its been treated with an herbicide. One spot was particularly bad where I had hooked up the hose to the valve to rinse the deck underside. The next day there was a large spot of killed grass where the tractor was parked. A few other random spots had patches of light brown grass as well the day after mowing. I'm guessing the mower is dropping oil, grease, or gas on the lawn in those spots but i havent noticed any leakage on the tractor body. Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Fireman 123

Threads
Place a large piece of cardboard under it. If you have some type of leak, you'll have better luck tracking it down.

Ron H

Threads
On my Craftsman lawn tractor, the solution is in the owners manual. The muffler on this one is mounted low at the front of the tractor.

There is a caution in my owners manual that the heat from the muffler will burn/ kill small sections of grass if the mower stands on the lawn with the engine running. So the solution appears to be to shut the engine down if the mower is going to sit on a grassy area for even a short period.

I don't know how many other brands of lawn tractors this would apply to, but since a majority of these tractors are by MTDs with different paint jobs, they should be similar.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
take care not to mow too short!.....if you cut it less than 2" ...there may not be enough green left to grow..id set it at 3".....also if your leaving clumps of the grass on the lawn...it can patch kill...especially if your cutting too short at the same time....make sure if your mulching..keep it spread out evenly ..:smile:.......if you have pictures..that would help!