Problems With Transmissions on Newer Craftsman Lawn Tractors

GAVolunteer

Threads
  • / Problems With Transmissions on Newer Craftsman Lawn Tractors
I'm wanting to replace my 1998 Craftsman Lawn Tractor with Kohler Engine and Hydrostatic transmission with fender control. It has been a great mower. The mower still has some life and I will be giving it to my adult son. I'm looking at used mowers to replace it.

In talking with a mower repair guy, he said that the transmissions on the "newer" Craftsman mowers have plastic parts that wear out after a few years. He said to avoid transmissions that have a black (plastic?)case and find one with the traditional silver metal case. I also saw about 70 negative reviews on the newer transmissions at one web site. The owners were saying pretty much what the repair guy said.

Does anyone know when Sears started using this type of transmission? I've been looking on Craigslist at mowers, but without going and looking at the mowers and see what the transmission looks like, I have no idea the type of transmission they might have.

So, I'm looking for a way to "screen" mowers. Buy before a particular year? Avoid certain models? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Robert

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Here's a few bits of info from the many articles concerning this type transmission that I have collected .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8ZLoCMrtTs

http://services.generaltransmissions.com/en/technical-information.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwINIY_o76U

There is a GREAT deal of info out there on these trannys both good and bad ... In my humble opinion ... they have NOT
yet proven themselves to meet their claims of no problems ... perhaps in time they will solve the minor problems that have become detrimental to their idea of the ultimate mower transmission .

GAVolunteer

Threads
Thanks for the links. they are very helpful. Not sure I believe all the marketing hype though. I tend to go by what mower service technicians say which is be wary ... the tranny has about a 200 hour life.

Any experience with or opinions on the Hydro-Gear T2 transaxle? Tuff Torq K46BA?

Lawn Addict
Threads
Isn't Sears going out of biz ? They are closing many stores according to the news.

RDA.Lawns

Threads
Sears is in fact about gone . However sears doesn't own the craftsman brand any more and the mowers are made by someone else. So long after the last Sears store is gone craftsman brand will still be around.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks RDA.Lawns-

The wrenches etc are made in china. Been for a long time, but still carry lifetime warranty. My wrenches are so old they were made in USA, till I break one & have to replace under warranty. (actually I have some broke ones), just reluctant to go swap em out for china tools.