How to get required torque on pto clutch, turf tiger

JRonascag

Threads
  • / How to get required torque on pto clutch, turf tiger
I just replaced the electric pto clutch on my turf tiger. I've read that proper torque on the center bolt is essential to long clutch life. However, I can't for the life of me find anything to grasp to prevent shaft rotation while tightening. I think I need 50-55 ft-lbs and that's a bunch. I have a pneumatic wrench but...can't measure torque with it.
Any wisdom is appreciated.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / How to get required torque on pto clutch, turf tiger
I've got a 1994 Cub Cadet with electric PTO clutch. It's been removed and replaced twice; each time I gave it about three hammers from a 1/2" impact wrench.

I'm not sure what defines 'long clutch life' but it's 23 years old and still going.

Wynn

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just replaced the electric pto clutch on my turf tiger. I've read that proper torque on the center bolt is essential to long clutch life. However, I can't for the life of me find anything to grasp to prevent shaft rotation while tightening. I think I need 50-55 ft-lbs and that's a bunch. I have a pneumatic wrench but...can't measure torque with it.
Any wisdom is appreciated.

I just replaced the clutch on my Tiger Cub, and was able to get a pipe wrench around the collar of the drive belt pulley, thereby holding the shaft. I don't think you are supposed to use any kind of impact tool on it, use a torque wrench

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Easy way is the Indian rope trick.
Remove one spark plug with the cylinder on BDC compression stroke
Stuff as much plastic rope as you can down the hole.
rotate the engine by hand till it wont move any more
Get under and tension the bolt
When hanging off a torque wrench the rope will compress a bit more but should lock up.
When done, rotate the engine backwards then remove the rope.
For full effect wear a silk turban and have some one play the appropriate music on a clarinet.