52 inch Raptor disappoints on cutting Bahia grass

Raptor007

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 52 inch Raptor disappoints on cutting Bahia grass
I have a 1 year old Hustler Raptor and I am VERY disappointed with how poorly it handles cutting Bahia grass. Can anyone tell me if adding the mulching kit will help with this? I don't want to waste $150.00 if it won't.

turboawd

Threads
  • / 52 inch Raptor disappoints on cutting Bahia grass
I have a 1 year old Hustler Raptor and I am VERY disappointed with how poorly it handles cutting Bahia grass. Can anyone tell me if adding the mulching kit will help with this? I don't want to waste $150.00 if it won't.

what exactly is happening?
are your blades sharp? original?

mhavanti

Threads
Slow down the forward speed, raise the cut depth, make sure blade speed is wide open. If this is where you're cutting, then your blades surely are not as sharp as they could be or should be. Hope that is the problem so that it is easily remedied.

Good luck,

Max

turboawd

Threads
i had a friend who bought a raptor sd and mowed with the engine at half speed the first time. i asked him why, and he was like "i dont know". :laughing:
engine should be at full throttle for maximum cutting.

Raptor007

Forum Newbie
Threads
what exactly is happening?
are your blades sharp? original?

Stock factory blades, sharp right out of the gate, or dull, makes no difference. Slowing down helps a little, but does not cut every stalk. The mower does great on regular lawn grass, just not the bahia seed stalks. I have to back up and recut to get them all. A friend suggested I grind notches into the blades, which did help some, but that is too much work to maintain after each sharpening.

Raptor007

Forum Newbie
Threads
Slow down the forward speed, raise the cut depth, make sure blade speed is wide open. If this is where you're cutting, then your blades surely are not as sharp as they could be or should be. Hope that is the problem so that it is easily remedied.

Good luck,

Max

Cut was the same on brand new factory blades and after a good resharpening. Slowing down and raising the height helps, but does not cut them all. I still have to cut over the same areas again.

Raptor007

Forum Newbie
Threads
i had a friend who bought a raptor sd and mowed with the engine at half speed the first time. i asked him why, and he was like "i dont know". :laughing:
engine should be at full throttle for maximum cutting.

I only cut at full rpm.

I appreciate all the responses, but to me these are all just common sense. I really want to know if anyone else has put on a mulching kit and had better results with the devil grass.

mhavanti

Threads
Raptor,

Sometimes it just makes you want to say to the devil with grass!

Max

kraky

Threads
I would definitely recommend trying the high lift Gator blades...or possibly a hi lift factory blade.
If you don't see an improvement try dipping the deck down in front one quarter of an inch if that doesn't do it try rocking it back a quarter of an inch and see what happens...... if you don't want to play with your deck adjustment you could maybe do a short run by changing your tire pressures and make the deck dip or tilt down in back.

turboawd

Threads
I would definitely recommend trying the high lift Gator blades...or possibly a hi lift factory blade.
If you don't see an improvement try dipping the deck down in front one quarter of an inch if that doesn't do it try rocking it back a quarter of an inch and see what happens...... if you don't want to play with your deck adjustment you could maybe do a short run by changing your tire pressures and make the deck dip or tilt down in back.

this. try the oregon gator blades or high lift. they will create more suction and lift. mulch blades will suck/lift less than your stock blades.