52 inch Raptor disappoints on cutting Bahia grass

mhavanti

Threads
Sounds like the problem isn't the mower, it is the Bahia. Get rid of it. Plant you some Bermuda and live happily ever after.

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
I seem to always leave a Bahia v-head or 20 sticking up after I mow with my rider.
Only solution I have found is to mow about every 3 days in the summer; E-Z enough to do if you are retired...

mhavanti

Threads
Ronno,

How about 55 gallons of gasoline, low octane will do, spread it all around the yard and set it on fire. Shouldn't that slow the roll of the Bahia for about a week? That's at least twice as long as every three days as you have to do now. But then, to be honest, would cost more than just jumping onto the old rider and cut it every three days.

You may want to stick to the old rider.

Max

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just buy a Scag Tiger Cat and keep the blades sharp and your problem is solved. We cut acres with them on a daily basis. We have cut it that had not been cut in 3 weeks with it raining several days a week and done it in one pass. Nothing else I have ever tried will do that.

willieb1172

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just to add some additional Bahia perspectives in addition to my previous post. I have a 65HP diesel tractor that I pull a 10' rotary mower(shredder, bushhog etc.) and when the Bahia is green and thick it will bring that tractor to a halt unless the mower is raised to the max and then you have to really slow down. A neighbor has a 100HP John Deere with a 15' batwing and he has the same experience. Another friend has 140HP John Deere with a 20' batwing and ditto.
I pulled a rear discharge finishing mower behind an old 35HP Ford tractor which worked really well. Got the idea from a rural golf course (all Bahia grass) that mowed with a pull behind finishing mower on a tractor.
I cannot mow every week and the Bahia is usually 6-18" on my mowers. With the larger tractors, maybe 2-3 times a year.
There is a local golf course that has planted Bahai in the rough that I plan to visit and find out what they are using to cut it. Will report back.

It's not the Bahia, it's the Hustler, IMO a poorly engineered deck. Before I got the Hustler I used a John Deere 60" 7 iron deck with a 25HP Kohler. It would cut Bahia like there's no tomorrow. If it was really really thick and tall, I could still cut it with the Deere just at a slower speed. But if I could run over it without choking down the Kohler, it cut it perfect every time, didn't even matter how dull the blades were, it didn't care. After about 20 years the engine finally bent the push rods and I haven't replaced the engine yet.

I also have a 20HP Ford 1520 3cyl Diesel with a bush hog to cut the back field. No issues there either. A typical bush hog finish, but no stems sticking straight up. I haven't contacted the manufacturer yet but I think I will.

I'm not about to try and get rid of it either. I have 4 acres of it and shouldn't have to change my grass to accommodate my mower...