52 inch Raptor disappoints on cutting Bahia grass

kraky

Threads
There was a guy on another Forum that was leaving stragglers with a 52 Raptor ( not sure what kind of grass) and when he went to the high lift blades it began cutting so clean he was mad he didn't have more ground speed......lol.
I hope the same can happen for the OP!
My new Fast Track came with high lift blades and it does awesome!

Johnba

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an Exmark that does not cut Bahia very good at all. Had to mow it twice to get a decent cut and I keep my blades sharp. Is beautiful on St. Augustine and Bermuda.
After borrowing a friends rear discharge Hustler and using it on Bahia, I bought 2 RD Hustlers. It does not semi-mulch like a side discharge but leaves a very good cut on Bahia.
Just my non-professional experience.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would definitely recommend trying the high lift Gator blades...or possibly a hi lift factory blade.
If you don't see an improvement try dipping the deck down in front one quarter of an inch if that doesn't do it try rocking it back a quarter of an inch and see what happens...... if you don't want to play with your deck adjustment you could maybe do a short run by changing your tire pressures and make the deck dip or tilt down in back.

We run Scag Tiger Cats and use highlift regular Oregon Blades. We sometimes change blades 2 and even on occasion 3 times a day. Bahia Grass is a bugger. The only thing that I have ever found that cuts it clean in one pass is a Tiger Cat Scag with highlift blades. Obviously that is not what you want to hear.

A mulching kit is not going to help you. I personally do not believe that a mower can mulch bahia grass unless you are cutting it several times a week.

willieb1172

Forum Newbie
Threads
I also have a Hustler Raptor 52" and it's the worst cutting mower I've ever had, mainly with Bahia grass. It leaves so many stems behind it makes me want to leave it in the road to get hit by a truck.

I've tried new stock blades, new high lift gator blades, adjusting the deck, going slower, RPMs are always at full throttle. It's just terrible. I'd be interested in anyone else's solution to this problem.

The Hustler dealer seems to think there's nothing wrong, but geez it's terrible. He did suggest that I put some washers under the blades to move the blades lower away from the deck. I haven't tried that yet though.

mhavanti

Threads
Willie,

Since you've tried several things that has been suggested and nothing is working. Contact Excel Industries, Hustler Turf and let them know you need help or you need them replace the mower with one that will do as it claims.

Here is their contact form:

https://www.hustlerturf.com/contact

Here is their other direct contact information:

Hustler Turf
Excel Industries
P. O. Box 7000
Hesston, KS 67062-2097

Phone: (620) 327-4911
Fax: (620) 327-2117
https://www.hustlerturf.com/

here is their direct email:
inquiries@excelii.com

A polite phone call would probably work best.

Keep us informed,

Good luck,

Max

1slow5point0h

Threads
I added the mulching kit and some Gator G5 mulching blades. It does good as long as I don't let the Bahia grass get too tall. I've got a lot of Bahia, some St. Augustine and a little Bermuda grass mixed in. The best thing to do is get some MSM Turf to thin out the Bahia. It works pretty good, but I didn't do it last year so I have a decent bit coming back and messed around and didn't do it this year either.

Datadave

Threads
I feel your pain on the Bahia. I believe Pensacola Bahia is the toughest grass on the planet.
The grass part is not so bad, but those dang seed stalks are murder.
When it rains they popup over-night and a week later - 2 foot tall.
Forbid you miss a week of mowing, it gets totally out of control.
I will keep an eye on this thread for cutting solutions with the RSD 54"
I am trying the Oregon G5 Gator blades, still miss a lot of seed stalks if I mow at normal speed,
and even creeping along it takes a second pass.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
The only thing I have ever dealt with that will cut Bahia Grass is a Scag with the Velocity Plus deck.

We cut some today that had not been cut in 18 days and it has rained more days than it has not since it was cut.

We cut it on a daily basis on a 14 day schedule and at times we are longer because the weather has us behind.

If you figure out how to make it cut it I would like to know how you do it. Maybe your formula will work with other mower brands as well.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
You can take a Matabo and cut about 1/4" to 1/2"off of the front baffles under the deck and make it cut it I have been told. I know a guy that did that to a Kubota and he said that it made it cut Bahia. One reason that the Scag with the Velocity decks will cut it is that they have the adjustable front baffle under the deck on them.

Again we cut it every day many times all day. We cut 4 acres today that you could go back tomorrow and rake and bale. Slick cut one pass. 52" Tiger Cat Scags.

Johnba

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just to add some additional Bahia perspectives in addition to my previous post. I have a 65HP diesel tractor that I pull a 10' rotary mower(shredder, bushhog etc.) and when the Bahia is green and thick it will bring that tractor to a halt unless the mower is raised to the max and then you have to really slow down. A neighbor has a 100HP John Deere with a 15' batwing and he has the same experience. Another friend has 140HP John Deere with a 20' batwing and ditto.
I pulled a rear discharge finishing mower behind an old 35HP Ford tractor which worked really well. Got the idea from a rural golf course (all Bahia grass) that mowed with a pull behind finishing mower on a tractor.
I cannot mow every week and the Bahia is usually 6-18" on my mowers. With the larger tractors, maybe 2-3 times a year.
There is a local golf course that has planted Bahai in the rough that I plan to visit and find out what they are using to cut it. Will report back.