Black and Decker Corded Mower

BigPaul

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

I am new to the forums, thanks in advance for any help.

My Black and Decker Corded mower quit running. I had it stored in a relatives shed while I was away in the Navy. They said they used it a couple times and then it just quit. I asked if they hit anything, or if there was a smell when it quit and they said no. These are trustworthy folks so they would have told me if they damaged the mower.

I plugged it in and surprisingly it started, it ran for about 2 mins then stopped. No electrical burnt smell and I was in shallow grass. After doing research I found that commonly the switch at the flip handle goes bad, so I ordered it ($25.00). It got here today and I replaced it, being very careful to remove one wire at a time and attach it properly.

Re-assembled the flip switch and still nothing. I am a disabled Navy vet who can't afford a new mower, my income is very limited. If there are any other common fixes for this mower please let me know.

Any help is greatly appreciated. The mower is about 10 years old and has had light use it's whole life.

domhnalliain

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,
90% of problems are cable related, I would suggest that you inspect the cable first(disconnect first)to make sure there is no danger from exposed wires or connections, and then reconnect and get someone to hold the switch to start the mower while you move the cable near the switch or near the mower end. If it bursts into life remove the bad section of cable. If you are technically minded I would check to see if the cable has continuity from the plug to the motor. The other test is to disconnect the mower from the power, rotate the blade by hand 1/4 turn, reconnect and try it - if this works it is probably the motor brushes or commutator. Please do not take any risks if you are not sure of anything I've mentioned.