TRANSAXLE / TRANSMISSION FORUM

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I was trying to help a member with a transaxle issue, found some info. and posted it for him . I found more information and
I'm sure that since the mowers that are dealt with here on the site ... use one the transaxles / transmissions from a few MFGs.
..Hydro-Gear, Tuff-Torq, Peerless-Tecumseh ( there are others) it might be easier for members to go
directly to a forum for this component ... rather than search in the specific MAKE of mower forums, .. this is especially true of MTD's and John Deere's that use different models of the same brand of trans. Several manufacturers don't even expose the model and type of unit used in their machines documentation. Isn't it time Transaxles / Transmissions have a separate forum ..??

primerbulb120

Threads
Good idea! Post this in the Site Discussion area as well, that way the admin will see it. :thumbsup:

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thinking about a first drain of the new K 66 in the Husqy so surfed around and saw an interesting youtube by a gentleman in W Virginia. Very humble in his presentation with good pics of the internals, including the brake disc, magnets, etc, and a slow disassembly. His operating room is clean although not enclosed. I had hoped he would show us how he filled the two separate oil compartments and expansion tank, but he did not. Although Tuff Torque does publish a 3 page instruction for this, it could use a visual procedure. This seems like the kind of material suitable for a future forum. I am surprised more have not responded to your idea.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thinking about a first drain of the new K 66 in the Husqy so surfed around and saw an interesting youtube by a gentleman in W Virginia. Very humble in his presentation with good pics of the internals, including the brake disc, magnets, etc, and a slow disassembly. His operating room is clean although not enclosed. I had hoped he would show us how he filled the two separate oil compartments and expansion tank, but he did not. Although Tuff Torque does publish a 3 page instruction for this, it could use a visual procedure. This seems like the kind of material suitable for a future forum. I am surprised more have not responded to your idea.

I guess nobody gives a damn about a transmission issue , UNTIL theirs is the issue ! I was surprised going through some past forums that there are some issues that could be brought out in the open in a place easier to locate on the main forum Oh well ... I guess we have to wait and see if ADMIN .
picks up on it , I did post same in SITE DISCUSSION , But timing was bad they've had their hands full with the problems recently affecting the site
people were being blocked out with an error msg. ( 502- BAD GATEWAY ) I don't know anything more , but THANKS for your support !! Boobala

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I guess nobody gives a damn about a transmission issue , UNTIL theirs is the issue ! I was surprised going through some past forums that there are some issues that could be brought out in the open in a place easier to locate on the main forum Oh well ... I guess we have to wait and see if ADMIN .
picks up on it , I did post same in SITE DISCUSSION , But timing was bad they've had their hands full with the problems recently affecting the site
people were being blocked out with an error msg. ( 502- BAD GATEWAY ) I don't know anything more , but THANKS for your support !! Boobala

I think haveing this would be good if anyone knew what they have. Most just think they have a Craftsman, Husqvarna, John Deere ... rear end. They have no idea some other company made a part for their mower. So in theory it is a good idea.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think haveing this would be good if anyone knew what they have. Most just think they have a Craftsman, Husqvarna, John Deere ... rear end. They have no idea some other company made a part for their mower. So in theory it is a good idea.

Damn, .. Chuck to be honest , that thought never occurred to me , THAT is probably the biggest reason , there are not more people posting an opinion ..I never thought about Tecumseh/Peerless transaxles in mowers until I myself had tranny problems and found out Murray did NOT make my trans. Then as I researched about my trans I learned about a FEW of the others in use in various makes of mowers . Very few people realize their make and model of trans unless they are a Manual-reader or have trouble with theirs, .. and many mower manufacturers don't supply the information in their owners manuals .

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I was in the nameless, faceless crowd who did not know what was in my dyt4000 until I wanted some traction and studied the Tuff Torque catalog which then eventually got linked to the Husqy model I bought last year. Most , I guess , should leave well enough alone if no owner manual oil change is discussed. However, the enthusiasts among us will pursue this topic, and although the Husqy manual says no attention is required, the Tuff Torque download on K 66 states a drain at 50 hours is beneficial. Perhaps another factor is the way mfgrs bury access to drain and fill plugs on the trannys. At least on my GT48XLSi it is difficult to even see the oil level in the expansion tank. Soon I will try to see if the drain/fill can be done without removing the tranny which is what is often mentioned on line. To date I did remove the right rear wheel and do a head stand. That allowed me to see a very low level of oil in the (warm) expansion tank, not up to the level shown in the Tuff Torque download. I do see more discussion of trans attention in the other "tractor" forums.

Bleach

Threads
Did one ever get created? I have a problem with mine and need some info/help.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
NOT to my knowledge . anyway, post your trans. model(s) numbers and there are several guys on the site with info, that may have what you're looking for, .. model numbers SHOULD ..?? be on the trans itself, clean off the dirt and use a flashlight ( or "torch" as Bertsmobile1 calls em ) if need be ! I do have some limited manuals myself, Boobala