FH721 cranks, dies, then engin will not turn over

Nod

Threads
  • / FH721 cranks, dies, then engin will not turn over
Have an old ferris with Kawasaki 25 horse motor. Go out to mow, fires right up, goes dead, motor will not turn over, nothing, it's like the battery has been disconnected. You can fiddle with it, hook battery charger up, yep it's full, look at it kick the tire, go get meter to check the connections. Have meter, try key again, fires right up and runs fine. Go and mow. It has done this the last 3 times I mowed.

Nod

Threads
Got home and tried it again after it had set sense yesterday. It started right up and then died and would not turn over anymore. The fuel shutoff solenoid clicked when I turned the key on and cranked it. It will not click now and there is no voltage on the starter side of the solenoid. Now I need to trouble shoot the starter solenoid, can I jump the solenoid like I used to do on the old chevy truck starters? I had to replace the solenoid last year. Thanks for any help.

Nod

Threads
Here is where I am at now. The solenoid has 12v from the key switch even when the key is turned off.? The Fuel solenoid will not click on or off. The starter side of the solenoid has no 12 volts. Is the switch bad or the solenoid or starter or fuel shutoff valve or something else. I do not have a schematic!!

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ok so how a solenoid works. I do not know which one you have so I am adding both pictures.
Red circle is hot all the time.
Purple circle is hot with key in start position.
Green circle is ground.
3 post solenoid.jpg4 post solenoid.jpg

Nod

Threads
Messing with it yesterday, I turned the ignition switch to the run position the pto would engage. At one time it started up and 15 seconds later the pto engaged without pulling the switch up. I am going to replace both switches and see if that fixes it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Messing with it yesterday, I turned the ignition switch to the run position the pto would engage. At one time it started up and 15 seconds later the pto engaged without pulling the switch up. I am going to replace both switches and see if that fixes it.

It won't
You have a bunch of wires that are shorting out against each other.
A problem typical of what happens when Mr & Mrs Rat move in over winter.

Nod

Threads
If Mr & Mrs Rat moved in they better move it on over cause the mower rat has moved in. The wiring looks fine, if it is the wiring, it would have to be from age or an almost broken wire from vibration. It might be one of those anti sue me safety switches causing the problem, but I dont think so. Thanks for the reply.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The loom can get pinched , a fairly common problem.
Then you get strange things like ants inside the PTO switch ( yes it did happen )
The PTO circuit is totally seperate from all others so if the PTO engages all by itself, power has to be getting into the power wire to the PTO.
You said the mower was OLD thus the thoughs about shorting out .
Thoughts also of bad ground connections , corroded ruse holders etc etc etc.
Now if you had posted mower model numbers some with access to Ferris information would have looked up your wiring diagram and either posted it or a link to it.

Nod

Threads
Well, I replaced the switch and it did not fix it. I felt sure it was the switch but was wrong. New switch in, starter will not turn over. I can jump the starter solenoid and sometimes it will turn over and sometimes it will not do anything. Going to recheck the grounds tomorrow. I have one more question, with the ignition key switched on, engine not running, I can engage the pto clutch. Is this normal? Thanks.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
To quote myself
The PTO circuit is totally seperate from all others so if the PTO engages all by itself, power has to be getting into the power wire to the PTO.
So yes you can turn the PTO on and off indepednantly from everything else.
Now I am a busy person and it seems like you are ardent in your desire to throw money at the mower and don't bother to read the posts of people who are trying to help you.
So good luck & good bye