Deck height

Chugbug

Threads
I have almost 40 hours on my Ferris 3200. I've been noticing as I'm mowing the blades are hitting things I've never hit before. A few days ago I hit a metal water cover that I've never hit before. So today before I went out and checked my deck height. Notched at 4" my mower was cutting about 2 7/8. I cut my yard (roughly 2 acres) at 4" and my driveway (1800') at 3 inches. I kick my self for not checking the deck height when I got it (I've got to buy new blades). But let me say leveling the deck was a piece of cake.

One question though is how are you all lifting the deck up to change the blade.......how many use air tools to remove and put back on, I'm thinking I probably use the ratchet to remove and hand tighten. Thanks all!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Did you check the tyre pressures before leveling the deck ?
And yes an impact gun is the way to go.
They self tighten in use and can be a real PIA to get off.
I sling the mower up to do the blades , they are quite light on the front casters.
Tighten with a normal wrench, two grunts & a puff.
If you fart they are too tight.

Chugbug

Threads
Lol thanks getting new blades this week.....I've notice under the deck it throws a ton of grass up and sticks to under belly and I have to remove a lot to grass under neath. I don't cut it wet.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I repair mowers so do all sorts of things to access the deck.
1) yard crane / engine crane / pulley block hanging from a tree branch.
2) 4WD extra high lift jack
3) truck style ramps ( must have a flat surface )

Blade bolts self tighten so a rattle gun to take them off and a plain socket to put them back on.

mountaincut

Threads
Tractor Supply markets a lift that is nice and high along with a good weight capacity. That is what I use along with an electric impact, impact sockets and a creeper. Fifteen minutes tops and the job is done!

A torque wrench doesn't have the capacity for the 200# torque recommended.

Chugbug

Threads
Thanks! Buddy had a ZT lift...pretty nice set up, I think that's the route to go. Took about 10 minutes to cage out.

Jondee

Threads
I made an adapter to mount on my floor jack that fits into the added female part on the front of my mower and use my floor jack to raise up the front of my mower. I don't know if you can break the blade nuts with our an impact wrench or not. I can't do it. Lots of luck.

Chugbug

Threads
200#!!!!!! Manual says to torque to 70#. I torqued over 100#.