Newbie here JD LA115 Out of ideas please help!

Alfredutzo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello from the newbie with tall grass and a JD that wont run !

So my problem started with a valve adjustment because the LA 115 with 19.5 hp Briggs had a tough time turning over. Got the specs, adjusted and started up but ran rough, then died out. Pulled the fuel lineto the carb and bone dry so I discovered a clog fuel filter. Pulled the line from fuel pump and the fuel ran back into the tank. Connected it again and it started up. So I ordered my maint kit and starting mowing. After 5 min it seems like it is running out of gas and stalls. Would not start back up.

Checked coil and it was reading 4.65 so I assumed thats it! ordered a new coil. My maint kit also arrived so lets do it right!

Installed new fuel filter, oil , air, and plug, coil and it started right up! Yes !...no ...less than 5 minutes acts like its running out of fuel and dies. Wont start back up. I check the fuel soleniod by tuning the key and can hear is clicking. I pulled the fuel line off carb, cranked and fuel is flowing. I cheked the fuel cap and the pin was clog so I cleaned that too. Still no start. Now I killed the battery trying to start it so I put on charge.

I am out of ideas! Please help the NEWBIE!!!

JonnyBlaze

Threads
Hello from the newbie with tall grass and a JD that wont run !

So my problem started with a valve adjustment because the LA 115 with 19.5 hp Briggs had a tough time turning over. Got the specs, adjusted and started up but ran rough, then died out. Pulled the fuel lineto the carb and bone dry so I discovered a clog fuel filter. Pulled the line from fuel pump and the fuel ran back into the tank. Connected it again and it started up. So I ordered my maint kit and starting mowing. After 5 min it seems like it is running out of gas and stalls. Would not start back up.

Checked coil and it was reading 4.65 so I assumed thats it! ordered a new coil. My maint kit also arrived so lets do it right!

Installed new fuel filter, oil , air, and plug, coil and it started right up! Yes !...no ...less than 5 minutes acts like its running out of fuel and dies. Wont start back up. I check the fuel soleniod by tuning the key and can hear is clicking. I pulled the fuel line off carb, cranked and fuel is flowing. I cheked the fuel cap and the pin was clog so I cleaned that too. Still no start. Now I killed the battery trying to start it so I put on charge.

I am out of ideas! Please help the NEWBIE!!!
I wonder if your flywheel woodruff key is broken...

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
1) you can not properly test the magneto with an ohm meter and many of the cheap ones will destroy the chip in the coil.
2) check the flow of fuel from the tank. very common to get a plug of debris that gets sucked into the outlet and partially blocks off the fuel supply.
3) try to star it by pouring some fuel down the carb or using starter fluid.
If it start and runs the fuel out and the float bowl is full of fuel , suspect the cut off solenoid and in particular the wires going to it ( can be a single + wire or a pair + & - ) they easily get damaged and either break or short out.
If you have been naughty and pulling onthe wires and not the plug they can come out of the crimps just enough to touch & short .

sidemouse

Threads
Hmmm...
This is starting to sound like one of those "if it runs don't fix it" jobs I've gotten myself into before.

First things first lets stop chasing wild geese, by that I mean no more buying and throwing parts at it nilly-willy.
If a machine is hard to start that puts it in the category of "it runs" so don't fix it, however...

I would definitely consider removing and cleaning both battery terminal connectors and posts, also check the connections at the starter solenoid and if that is separate from the starter, the cable(s) at the starter as well.
I am thinking more than likely it's either battery terminal corrosion, or a loose connection at either battery / solenoid / or starter.
I would also check or inspect the cable terminals for solidity, make sure no terminal is hanging loosely like it's about to fall off the cable.
You want good solid terminals making tight connections with clean battery terminals.
You might even consider replacing the solenoid itself, but before doing so I would test crank ability by shorting the terminals.

1) you can not properly test the magneto with an ohm meter and many of the cheap ones will destroy the chip in the coil.

Thank you.