Pressure Washer

Jonesdk13

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I got a craftsman pressure washer with a Briggs and Stratton 6.75 hp motor. The motor does not run. I changed the air filter oil and spark plug. Still not working. I then overhauled the carbureator cleaned the fuel lines. Still not running. I am besides my self on this one. I looked in the intake and exhaust ports top of the piston and all looks good. Not showing signs of oil leaking beyond the piston rings. If there is anything anyone can think of that I haven't thought of please give me some insight as too what the possible cause might be. I am not trying to put anymore money into this thing than I already have.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have you tried starting fluid (ether)?

Checked for spark?

Jonesdk13

Forum Newbie
Threads
No and No. I will try both tomorrow. Figured the spark should be good with a new plug. Overlooked. Well I will let you know how it goes. Thank you very much for the feedback.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Some data and history on the engine will be beneficial for those trying to help you get it running. Briggs engines have model, type and code number somewhere on the engine, stamped into the sheet metal. Then, some other stuff like, Are you the original owner? How long has it been since it was used? Has it been stored with gasoline in the tank or was it drained and run dry? Anything like that might give people a clue as to what the problem may be.

Here's a tip on starting a power washer:

These things are not supposed to be run dry. But on mine, if I do like they recommend and turn the water on to prime the pump and leave it on, it adds so much resistance to pulling the rope that at most I can get maybe two or three revolutions of the engine per pull. If it doesn't start on the first or second pull, I can barely spin it at all. So what I do is turn the water on, hold the trigger to purge air out of the system, then turn the water back off. Starting the engine mine usually takes (three or four pulls) and then I turn the water on.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Cannot relate to your Briggs specifically, but recently bought an H Frt (predator) 4 stroke set up. It has a low oil ignition cut off and is very sensitive to level ground. Next, the choking action is really different . Perhaps because "at hot" the engine is being indirectly "water cooled" by the garden hose pouring cold water through the pump casting which is bolted to the engine. This setup wants partial to full choking when restarting from "hot." And ...this engine is hard to start from cold. I am looking around for a platinum tip plug, hoping it will help. Normally heat is a suspected killer of a spark coil, but perhaps less so on these setups?

Jonesdk13

Forum Newbie
Threads
My old pressure washer was a Excell with a Honda motor. Had it for 10 years and it started for the last time. I found the craftsman pressure washer on Craig's list. Hasn't run in a few years. Looked at it it looked good for not having run. All I know about it at this point is it is a Craftsman 2550 psi Briggs and Stratton 6.75 hp 2.3 gpm. That's why I went strait to the carb oil and spark plug. It was stored without fuel. Not run dry. The build up was amazing in the carb and reservoir. Took me 2 hours to get it clean. Which is why I was stumped as to what the problem was. I will try a few more things and I want to thank everyone for reading and responding with helpful tips on what the cause might be. I appreciate everyone's feedback. Thank You

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
My Briggs powered washer (a Mi-T-M) sat for a few years with ethanol gasoline in it. I had to disassemble the carb completely and run a wire and compressed air through every passage. IMG_2332.jpgIMG_2331.jpg

A couple of years ago, I resurrected a 1965 Hahn Eclipse roto tiller with a 3 hp Briggs which had been in storage for an estimated 12 years but with non-ethanol gas. There was still gas in the tank. It started up right away. I didn't take any pictures of its carburetor because there was no reason to!

Point is, a carburetor can look spotless to the untrained eye and still have clogged passages.

Jonesdk13

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok So the engine numbers are 126T02 0191 B1 08090258.