cuttiing height dilemma on ZD331

geoff

Threads
H, thanks for taking a moment to read this.... I just purchased a 2012 used ZD331 ... after reading the manual, it appears you are supposed to adjust the cutting height using the Cutting height Control Dial. My understanding is use the hydraulic controls to raise the deck, dial in the height you want and then lower the deck and you will have the correct height. Further, that the anti-scalp wheels should be adjusted such that they are not in constant contact with the ground. However, when I tried to adjust the height using the Cutting Height Control, I can't see that anything changes. In fact, when I turn the adjustment wheel, there does seems to be almost no resistance in turning the wheel, about an inch in either direction, then I can't turn it any further than those points, almost like it's not engaged at all ie, I don't think it is working. I contacted the person I purchased it from who is a Kubota dealer and he told me he had contacted some other dealers and was told to use the wheels to adjust the height of the mowing deck, not the Height control dial.... but wouldn't have the anti-scalp wheels in contact with the ground continuously? I was hoping to be able to just dial in one height for one area and another height for another area as needed without having to adjust the wheels each time... any suggestions? Do others use the Cutting Height Control successfully? If it sounds broken, any suggestions as to how to troubleshoot it and or fix it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for your time.

Geoff

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
H, thanks for taking a moment to read this.... I just purchased a 2012 used ZD331 ... after reading the manual, it appears you are supposed to adjust the cutting height using the Cutting height Control Dial. My understanding is use the hydraulic controls to raise the deck, dial in the height you want and then lower the deck and you will have the correct height. Further, that the anti-scalp wheels should be adjusted such that they are not in constant contact with the ground. However, when I tried to adjust the height using the Cutting Height Control, I can't see that anything changes. In fact, when I turn the adjustment wheel, there does seems to be almost no resistance in turning the wheel, about an inch in either direction, then I can't turn it any further than those points, almost like it's not engaged at all ie, I don't think it is working. I contacted the person I purchased it from who is a Kubota dealer and he told me he had contacted some other dealers and was told to use the wheels to adjust the height of the mowing deck, not the Height control dial.... but wouldn't have the anti-scalp wheels in contact with the ground continuously? I was hoping to be able to just dial in one height for one area and another height for another area as needed without having to adjust the wheels each time... any suggestions? Do others use the Cutting Height Control successfully? If it sounds broken, any suggestions as to how to troubleshoot it and or fix it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for your time.

Geoff

The cutting height control is messed up on this mower. Your scalping wheels are for just that to keep the mower from scalping. They have nothing to do with height adjustment. To PROPERLY adjust the height, you should be able to raise the deck completely to the top and then turn the adjusting knob to the desired height and then lower the deck back down and it should be set. If it is not operating that way then something is messed up in the adjustment. If the Kubota dealer is telling you that he is either one very ignorant person to be in that business or either knows something is wrong with it and wants to be ignorant enough to not know better one or the two.

whitetiger

Forum Newbie
Threads
With your deck raised up, raise your seat and try turning your deck height adjustment knob. With the seat up you should be able to see what has failed. Any dealer that tells someone to use their Anti Scalp Wheels as Gauge wheels is a moron.