2 Craftsmen same problem no start

bdtprez

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have 2 Crafstman mowers I am trying to repair for a friend, one is a model 917.388510 and the other is very similar except self-propelled. They both use the same exact carbs.

They both sat for years and one carb had major sludge and a sticking float valve and the other had some light varnish. I completely disassembled and cleaned all orifices, tested float valves, refilled with fresh fuel and replaced plugs with manufacturer model gapped at .30. I have good spark but neither will run.

Both mowers are doing the same exact thing, As you pull the handle to start it, i will say it "misfires". It doesnt backfire through the carb, it VIOLENTLY TEARS the pull string out of your hand sometimes during the pull. I mean, i started wearing a glove and it fires my glove across the street when the "bad ignition" happens! Even my "big tough" neighbor left with an injury after making fun of my struggles (who is the sissy boy now? ;0).

Does anyone have any idea what i could be missing or doing wrong? Thanks so much in advance!

bdtprez

Forum Newbie
Threads
After much research i'm going to go with 99% chance both have a sheared flywheel key. I know at least one blade had certain impact damage. I haven't worked on a mower since i was a teenager and never encountered a flywheel shear key. I will confirm my results tomorrow, I do thank the forum for the wealth of knowledge! It just took a bit of searching, learning and rewording..

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Definitely a sheared key, but you must also have a blade on or the same condition can occur.