Repairs Toro Front Wheel Drive Self Propel Pulley (Not adjustable)

orvieto

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Toro Front Wheel Drive Self Propel Pulley (Not adjustable)
I have Toro lawn mower (20016 Serial 240000001 and Up). It's old, but has been working very well. I replaced the blade last year.

I started it this year without any problems. I mowed the lawn fine. I started it again the other day, and the self propel system doesn't work. I checked the transmission, and replaced the belt. after installation, I found the belt to be very loose when I pulled the propel lever. I have the correct belt which is 91-2258 V-Belt.

I heard I should replace the pulley (transmission side). or do I need shorter belt?

Please advise what I can do.
Thank you!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Three things I would like you to check. First, is the blade adapter, where the belt rides, clean? If not clean it. Second, same thing for the two halves of the Tranny pulley. Third, have you adjusted the drive cable? This will tighten the belt.

orvieto

Forum Newbie
Threads
Three things I would like you to check. First, is the blade adapter, where the belt rides, clean? If not clean it. Second, same thing for the two halves of the Tranny pulley. Third, have you adjusted the drive cable? This will tighten the belt.

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I've been through all your three suggestions. I just bought shorter belt. I will let you know how it goes.

Thank you again!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You have the correct belt. Getting a shorter one will have you driving all the time. We're missing something. Are you sure your belt is in the blade adapter pulley and all the way up the crankshaft, with the belt level with the belt guide. Second, I have had adapters where the built-in key has been sheared, causing not drive. If you turn the tranny pulley by hand, do the wheels turn? I know these are stupid questions, but this problem should be a simple fix. Wish I was stand there looking at the unit, should be able to diagnosis in 5 minutes.

orvieto

Forum Newbie
Threads
You have the correct belt. Getting a shorter one will have you driving all the time. We're missing something. Are you sure your belt is in the blade adapter pulley and all the way up the crankshaft, with the belt level with the belt guide. Second, I have had adapters where the built-in key has been sheared, causing not drive. If you turn the tranny pulley by hand, do the wheels turn? I know these are stupid questions, but this problem should be a simple fix. Wish I was stand there looking at the unit, should be able to diagnosis in 5 minutes.

Thank you Lawn King!
Here are photos you can see how much free play (the first one is propel lever on and 2nd one is off)

IMG_0066.jpgIMG_0068.jpg

I installed shorter belt (1 inch shorter, I believe it's 34") I bought today. You are right: it drives all the time which I couldn't use it this way..
So I put 2 washers (1" x 1/8") between transmission pulley and adjusted cable. Now everything works like a charm!

I mowed the lawn today and made my lady happy...

Only things I should do is installing larger diameter (1.5" or 2" but a same thickness) washers.

Thank you again!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you had to shim up the pulley with washers, this means it should be replaced. Just my suggestion.