No spark to plug

rdd1952

Forum Newbie
Threads
I posted a while back about my mower choking down when I turned hard left or when cutting on a slope with the right side low. That turned out to be a carburetor problem. Now, I am not getting a spark to the plug. When I hold the plug and turn the ignition, I get a jolt so I know that power is getting to the plug but it's not sparking. Any idea what I need to do? This is a 115 mower with a B&S 19 HP engine. Model number is 31P877.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I posted a while back about my mower choking down when I turned hard left or when cutting on a slope with the right side low. That turned out to be a carburetor problem. Now, I am not getting a spark to the plug. When I hold the plug and turn the ignition, I get a jolt so I know that power is getting to the plug but it's not sparking. Any idea what I need to do? This is a 115 mower with a B&S 19 HP engine. Model number is 31P877.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Are you checking for spark the correct way ?? If so you should NOT get jolted , check this video ...
does the plug give a good spark when done properly ,?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUOmsGiirTU

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't know how you are testing for spark. The proper way is with two different testers. First way is check for spark under compression and then if that is OK you will need a good 1/4 inch of spark travel.

rdd1952

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply. It is now running. There was an electric plug that was not connected.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks for the reply. It is now running. There was an electric plug that was not connected.

Somethings I read on this forum is very confusing to me and this is one of them?? That engine should run without a wire hooked up to it because it runs off a mag other then the carburetor solenoid which has nothing to do with the spark. Please tell me what I am missing here.

rdd1952

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm not really certain as I am not terribly mechanically inclined. I think we were testing for spark incorrectly (thus the jolt when my finger touched the plug rather than the rubber coated wire) but before I retested properly, I saw the wire that wasn't plugged in and connected that. It was the plug that connects to the bottom of the carburetor, the piece you can remove to drain the carburetor.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Now I understand. You never had a spark problem in the first place but had the carburetor solenoid disconnected.