Ignition module failure

John J

Forum Newbie
Threads
I own a 2005 Lawnboy Gold Pro Dura Force 6.5 Hp. Model 10550. The original coil lasted 4 years. I bought a 2nd ignition coil in 2009 it lasted until May 2017. Not bad. 9 years for that one but cost $55 at a local equipment supply store. Found the next one online for $12 with free shipping from California. I'm back in business. Except for the surging. I totally do a tear down of my mower about every 2 or 3 years. Sharpen blade put in new primer bulb installed external shut-off valve with a filter even though there is one in the carburator bowl. I opened up the meter jet with a slightly larger drill like I read in different web sites even though it ran perfectly all these other years. Not sure what changed other than the low octane gas that you get now at the pump.

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome:
Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to move your thread over to our Lawn Boy section.
Hopefully someone over there will have some insight.

jp1961

Threads
Hi John,

You could try enlarging the hole in the throttle plate to 3/32", to see if that helps the surging. Earlier Duraforce carbs had a bigger hole in the throttle plate vs the later ones like yours.

Regards

Jeff

lewb

Threads
I own a 2005 Lawnboy Gold Pro Dura Force 6.5 Hp. Model 10550. The original coil lasted 4 years. I bought a 2nd ignition coil in 2009 it lasted until May 2017. Not bad. 9 years for that one but cost $55 at a local equipment supply store. Found the next one online for $12 with free shipping from California. I'm back in business. Except for the surging. I totally do a tear down of my mower about every 2 or 3 years. Sharpen blade put in new primer bulb installed external shut-off valve with a filter even though there is one in the carburator bowl. I opened up the meter jet with a slightly larger drill like I read in different web sites even though it ran perfectly all these other years. Not sure what changed other than the low octane gas that you get now at the pump.

I have a 2001 dura force with original coil, I do have a spare just in case, What oil mix ratio do you use? 32 to 1; I would bet your surging is related to the throttle plate ( the copper butter fly in the throat of the carb). Just need to drill to large hole.

Lawnboy77

Threads
For that surging issue you might want to check for an air leak at the carb flange. Those plastic carbs are notorious for warping, furthermore I can't see those coming out of the factory with a surge, something had to of happened over time to create that, throwing more fuel in the chamber might help the situation, but to me it's not really fixing the condition that caused the surge to begin with.

Last edited: