616 repair/ repower?

mikesdak

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello.

I have a 616 with 16 vanguard (303447-1222) which has leaked (blown) oil due to positive crankcase pressure for several years. It is now only firing on one cylinder, due to lack of spark. Probably an ignition coil. I need to tear into the engine to replace the coil, and probably, the head gasket on the LH side (might cure the crankcase pressure issue). I'd also replace the dipstick seal if possible.

Alternatively, I've looked at replacement. Sounds like this spec engine isn't manufactured anymore (why? design issue?). I've looked into a 18 Hp vanguard repower thru Small Engine Warehouse. However, it is not exactly bolt-in: sounds like I need to reuse the flywheel/blower fan and starter, and muffler from original 16 Hp, as well as possible wiring/throttle cable changes. (link): http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/Repower-Old-Equipment/Grass-Hopper-616-Category/

On the topic of repair: does it seem like I'm on the right track?

As to the repower: does anyone have a better idea? I don't really like the idea of reusing the flywheel etc, sounds like a lot of work. I am wondering if there is an adapter plate to use the 18 Hp flywheel to couple to the drive shaft, for instance. Or, is there a honda or other engine option?

BWH

Threads
That's interesting that the flywheel bolt pattern is different between the 16 & 18 hp Briggs. I have to believe The Small Engine Warehouse they are pretty much on the ball. With that determined I agree with you that it would be better to find the power shaft off a 718 and use that to connect to the flex plate and use the flywheel that comes with the 18 HP.

Now the big question, what shape are the hydro's and the rest of the Grasshopper?

mikesdak

Forum Newbie
Threads
I contacted GH directly, and they recommended the SEW kit, plus several grasshopper parts totaling about $300 to make the connection, including a special shaft and screen kit to couple to the motor.

Between the motor and the parts, and shipping, it’s almost $1500 for the repower, not counting labor. To Grasshopper’s credit, they did mention that the hydros should be looked at closely prior to repowering (each is $1600 or so, and/or obsolete). On the subject of hydros: the right one has always seemed to lag a bit behind the left. I’ve adjusted the linkage, but it just seems a bit slower.
In view of the above, I’m planning to work on the engine, replace the bad ignition coil, and replace a head gasket on the left side. I plan to also change the hydro “filters” and fluid, and see how it behaves.