Rear bumpers: Theoretical question

slk230red

Threads
Just curious, do you Snapper experts think I could install rear bumpers on a new style Snapper RER and stand it up on end to service the mower?

Thanks

New style RER without bumpers:

Rear view.jpgRear view-2.jpg

Old style RER with bumpers:

Old model rear view with bumpers.jpgOld model rear view with bumpers-2.jpgstandOnEnd.jpg

cashman

Threads
Looks like the engine is positioned like the old ones with the same spark plug and carburetor locations. If it has a battery, it would be best to remove it before standing so there won't be any chance of acid spilling out. I've never seen one of the newer mowers like that one and can't tell about the gas cap. There might be a problem of gas dripping from the gas cap if it has a vent that don't screw in to close like the older ones. Other than that, don't see any reason why it wouldn't work standing on it's end.

slk230red

Threads
Looks like the engine is positioned like the old ones with the same spark plug and carburetor locations. If it has a battery, it would be best to remove it before standing so there won't be any chance of acid spilling out. I've never seen one of the newer mowers like that one and can't tell about the gas cap. There might be a problem of gas dripping from the gas cap if it has a vent that don't screw in to close like the older ones. Other than that, don't see any reason why it wouldn't work standing on it's end.

Thanks for the reply cashman. Yes, I would remove the battery and empty the gas tank before standing it up.
I came across a photo of a newly designed RE 110 with the rear bumpers, not sure if factory or owner installed.
What do you think?

RE-110 with rear bumpers.jpg

cashman

Threads
You might check your mowers paperwork/instruction manual and see if they offer a bumper kit? If no info there, you might check with the Snapper Customer Service Dept. to see if they offer a bumper kit as an accessory for your model? Are there holes already there that look like they might be for a bumper kit? If nothing comes up, a Snapper Model 3081S had bumpers that you could easily make work.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In both cases the mower should be tipped over on it's left hand side.
You alway tip an engine so that the cylinder is pointing up

slk230red

Threads
In both cases the mower should be tipped over on it's left hand side.
You alway tip an engine so that the cylinder is pointing up

Thanks bertsmobile1, but one of the biggest complaints about the new style Snapper RER's is not being able to stand it up on its end to service the mower.
Just removing the blade by jacking up the front is a PIA.

Attachments

• Snapper on its end.jpg
    Snapper on its end.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 12

P n

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just curious, do you Snapper experts think I could install rear bumpers on a new style Snapper RER and stand it up on end to service the mower?

Thanks

New style RER without bumpers:

View attachment 32547View attachment 32548

Old style RER with bumpers:

View attachment 32544View attachment 32545View attachment 32546

Have 2 older 28 and 33 snappers w/ rear bumpers .The one piece bumper part 3-6367 will not fit new briggs snappers .I also am trying to get bumper to work The screw holes don't line up bumper is to wide . new snapper holes are spaced at 12 inches.so only two piece snapper bumper # 3-0798 may work if holes line up since bumper is made in twp pieces.

P n

Forum Newbie
Threads
You might check your mowers paperwork/instruction manual and see if they offer a bumper kit? If no info there, you might check with the Snapper Customer Service Dept. to see if they offer a bumper kit as an accessory for your model? Are there holes already there that look like they might be for a bumper kit? If nothing comes up, a Snapper Model 3081S had bumpers that you could easily make work.

I called briggs the owner of Snapper now and she said take it to the dealer for service.Thats pretty tough when you want to change a blade.Looks like the jpeg pic further down shows an older 2 piece snapper bumper on new snappers.Point about gas tank being different is a consideration as the batt. is a definite take out since its undr seat now w/ a simple tie down.

cashman

Threads
My next door neighbor has one of the new Snappers and he has mounted the bag system off his old 28" onto it. I don't know what all he had to do to it but apparently it fit pretty easy. I'll try to hook up with him this weekend and see what all he did to mount the bag.

cashman

Threads
IMG_0061.jpgIMG_0063.jpgIMG_0064.jpg

Finally got up with my neighbor. The mower he has is a 33" cut with a 15.5hp B&S and hydrostatic trans.
The bag from his old 28" Snapper fits on it. The only change he had to make was to reverse the position of the rear bumpers where they faced inward instead of outward which moved the bag frame closer to the deck so the chute would stay in place. He said all the holes were there and he didn't have to drill any new holes. I apologize for the pics being crossways. I had to upload from my i-phone and haven't figured out how to change position of the pics.

Last edited: