LED replacements for stock headlights?

Jinzo Ningen

Threads
Anyone upgraded their stock 'Hopper lights for a set of LED units?? The forklifts where I work were just replaced under lease and all of the new lifts have LED headlights. Man, those things are amazingly bright! LED has many benefits: they run cooler, last longer and draw less juice from the battery/charging system. Really, the only drawback is that being somewhat "new" they are also kinda pricy. Just wondering if any Grasshopper owners here have taken the plunge? I am looking for alternatives to the factory lights. They don't illuminate much and the location makes half the light hit the deck and not the yard. If I get my ROPS built I think I'll try mounting a LED units up top, aiming down for better low-light visibility.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
High mounted lights do work better... But they also seem to attract a lot of bugs...
& you are right, LED's are nice low current bright and long lasting... But still a bit pricey. :smile:KennyV

Berniep

Threads
Yeah if anyone knows where you can get 12v led worklights for a reasonable price please post a link.
The last time I went looking all I found was ones like are on those forklifts for about 200 each.
Get em down to about 50 and I might be interested. I need em for my mower and my tractor.

thehemikid

Threads
Yeah if anyone knows where you can get 12v led worklights for a reasonable price please post a link.
The last time I went looking all I found was ones like are on those forklifts for about 200 each.
Get em down to about 50 and I might be interested. I need em for my mower and my tractor.

I bought a pair of these LED work lights for auxiliary back-up lights (on a relay)for my enclosed trailer, but don't have them fully functional yet to see if they'll be bright enough for me.

Maxxima Heavy Duty Work Flood Light White LED MWL-04 | eBay

Seeing your thread, got me thinking, ...mmmm my left head light on my 721D is out. :biggrin:
I'll see whats wrong with it first.

thehemikid

Threads
I have them functional now, if anyone is interested, I have some "in the dark" pic's, ( on an enclosed trailer though ), that I can try to post. Looks like they would be pretty bright for mowing, but I'm sure there's brighter ones out there though. :smile:

Berniep

Threads
Yeah I would be interested.
What is your impression of them over a standard work light?
That's getting down into my price range.

thehemikid

Threads
This'll be my first attempt at posting pic's here on this site, ....so we'll see.

If your talking about those working lights like on the side of an enclosed trailer for working on you car in the pit's ( I think those are ~ 300 watts, I have 2 of those also ), no these don't quite compare to those but if I can get these pic's to post, my brothers trailer is parked next to mine. He just put some of those Rural King incandescent's on his flat bed goose neck ( dont remember the cost ~$35 I think for the pair ). I'll turn them on & take a pic side by side to see, & I'll that a pic of the 300W's too to compare.

This first pic is the 18 LED per side repacements I put in a few months ago.

Attachments

• 8-2-11 b-up lights 30.jpg
    8-2-11 b-up lights 30.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 73

thehemikid

Threads
Well that worked OK.

This next pic is the (auxiliary's on a relay) LED work lights added,... triggered by the other back-ups.

they're turned ~ 45*'s towards the sides for a larger pan while turning.

Edit: these pic's make them look a little brighter than in person.

Attachments

• 8-2-11 b-up lights 31.jpg
    8-2-11 b-up lights 31.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Berniep

Threads
I just broke on of the aux lights on my tractor that I got from tractor supply.
I think they were either 35 or 45 watts.
With these led I might be able to put 4 on without stressing the charging system. Although the current draw is not listed.

thehemikid

Threads
I just broke on of the aux lights on my tractor that I got from tractor supply.
I think they were either 35 or 45 watts.
With these led I might be able to put 4 on without stressing the charging system. Although the current draw is not listed.

Over there on their site (R & P Carriage...) they have a Maxx... 375 Lumens also with a .98 amp draw,...so I figured these 400 Lumens wouldn't be but a tad more.