$4000 Residential ZTR: Which of these features should be most important to me?

Dokker

Threads
  • / $4000 Residential ZTR: Which of these features should be most important to me?
First time poster here, looks like a great board.

I need some advice for my first ZTR purchase. I think I've narrowed to these few mowers, but I'm open to suggestions. Each of these has distinct advantages/disadvantages, so I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are.

Keep in mind our yard is sloped - we have a walkout. But it's not extreme. Mowing about 1.75 acres. All but Dixie Chopper Magnum use Kawasaki engine.

Gravely ZT XL

Advantages: Gravely has a great reputation, and these model seem to get great reviews. Seems to be well built machine.

Disadvantages: Tires are 20x10x10, wish they were bigger. Slowest blade speed.

Dixie Chopper Magnum

Advantages: Biggest tires, closest dealer. Good reviews. Hydro 3100. On sale $4450 (reg 5100+)

Disadvantages: Briggs and Stratton motor, which I know very little about.

Dixie Chopper Zee 2

Advantages: Same close dealer. Good reviews.

Disadvantage: Expensive at $4450. Only 6 blade heights. Tires 20x10x10.

Hustler Raptor SDX

Advantages: Big tires. Good reviews. Least expensive at $3900.

Disadvantages: Some have complained about cut quality. Also, it is a bolted deck.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Last edited:

Dokker

Threads
  • / $4000 Residential ZTR: Which of these features should be most important to me?
Looks like the thread is getting lots of views. Any takes on what would be most important? Thinking maybe the wider tires would trump all else on a lot with slopes.

Mr. Ed

Threads
I just went through a similar search. There probably isn't a "best" choice. That's both good and bad, as it makes your decision harder, but the results safer. No matter what you buy, it'll probably be a good machine and give satisfactory results.

I was advised to stay away from anything sold by big box stores, and to avoid the Briggs engines by several professional lawn care guys, so that part of the decision was easy. They had anecdotal evidence, usually not firsthand, so maybe it's not of paramount importance.

Biggest factor for me was periodic maintenance. The Gravely I bought (ZT HD) doesn't appear to have any grease fittings, and the spindles are sealed. I use a different model at a church that has had 10 years of very hard use, and they've only had to replace one spindle in all that time. And that machine is used at least 5 hours a week. Super dependable. They also have a Kubota that has 11 zerk fittings.That's a lot of grease. Yeah, the machine might last longer, but if it takes an additional 15 minutes a week to keep it running, what is the benefit in the long run? Especially if some of the volunteers skip a fitting or two.

Another big factor for me was the dealer. Lots of them are nice when they're digging into your pockets, and some can get less involved when you need their help. I have a terrific dealer, so that made it easier. Price is important, but don't cheat yourself out of a machine that you really want to save a few bucks. You'll only buy one machine, but you'll use it every week during the season for many years. You should be happy every time your butt is in that seat.

Have you had a chance to operate any or all of the machines? Maybe one just feels better than the other.

Good luck in your process!

edit: tire size... I'm not convinced that a slightly wider tire will make a major difference in slope traction, especially in slippery conditions. It seems as though it should, though. The larger the footprint (which can also be controlled with tire pressure) the less pressure the tire applies to the ground in psi. Comparing that to snow tires on a car, the experts advise to get narrower snow tires for the same reason. I don't have any evidence either way, just offering a thought to stimulate some discussion. A wider tire will definitely help you float across flat surfaces that are soggy/muddy.

Dokker

Threads
Thanks for the reply, Ed. Good stuff.

One of the toughest purchases I've had in a while. Always seems you're wishing you had another thousand to spend, not to mention if you search enough you'll find negative comments about all these machines. I'd really love the ZT HD, as everyone has positive things to say about it.

I did get to try all but the Dixie Choppers. Favorite was the Gravely. That dealer is trying to push a 60" ZT XL he has in stock. Bigger tires, bigger deck only difference. But on a slope, wouldn't the 60" deck (compared to the 52) be more prone to scalping?

Last edited:

Mr. Ed

Threads
Thanks for the reply, Ed. Good stuff.

One of the toughest purchases I've had in a while. Always seems you're wishing you had another thousand to spend, not to mention if you search enough you'll find negative comments about all these machines. I'd really love the ZT HD, as everyone has positive things to say about it.

I did get to try all but the Dixie Choppers. Favorite was the Gravely. That dealer is trying to push a 60" ZT XL he has in stock. Bigger tires, bigger deck only difference. But on a slope, wouldn't the 60" deck (compared to the 52) be more prone to scalping?

You bring up a good point about scalping, and of course the opposite, not conforming to hollows. The two machines I use at the church are bigger than my 48". The Gravely is a 52, and the Kubota is a 60 IIRC. There really isn't much difference as far as hill stability or scalping... that's what the anti-scalp rollers are for. And yes, they'll still scalp when cresting a hill. The only way to avoid that is to lift the deck every time you crest a hill. FWIW, turning in wet conditions those rollers (not the drive wheels) tend to dig up a lot of turf (we have to cut rain or shine), and these folks like a very short cut, about 2.75". To get a cut that follows the contours of the slopes and hills (and this place has only about 25% flat areas) I tend to put one set of wheels in a gully and follow it. Go back the other direction with the other wheels in the gully. You get the idea. And avoid cresting hills as much as possible. Also, we tend to cut across slopes that are a bit steeper than recommended. Up and down the worst ones. Use hand mowers for the scary stuff. One of our volunteers doesn't really have the right touch, and he visits the woods and ditches a bit more than he should. Can't say anything since we're all volunteers and it's a church.

I chose a 48 for myself since it will fit more easily between obstacles, and a loss of a couple of inches isn't going to increase my mowing time on the little areas I mow. A commercial guy on a golf course would have a different need. Another width consideration is what you'll use to transport it if the need ever comes up. My trailer is a 5x10, so I had to get something with a deck narrower than 60". Might not be an issue for you, but sometime in the future you might want to help a friend out. Best advice I can offer is to get the highest quality machine you can, and if you can get a better machine (brand/quality level) with a narrower deck, maybe that's a consideration for you.

Dokker

Threads
I ended up with the Gravely ZT XL 52 w/ the Kawasaki FR691V for $3800 out the door, which I think is a good deal. I'll try to post a review of it here or, more likely, YouTube. But, in case someone stumbles on this thread down the line and wants some notes, here's my take and decision making notes on the finalists:

Gravely ZT XL - Reviews online for the Ariens Ikon and Gravely ZT X were numerous, and almost unanimously positive. The Gravely XL is the same as that model except with the 2800 serviceable hydros, a better chair, bigger tires, and a few other upgrades. To me, this model upgraded the few areas that the X owners had complaints about (particularly the tire size). My main gripe on the Gravely I bought is that the engine is really crammed in there, and I think oil changes are going to be a bear.

Dixie Chopper Magnum / Zee 2 - Price was most expensive. Shied away after learning their reputation was a bit iffy after ownership changed. And I was aggravated when their dealer kept changing prices on me.

Hustler Raptor SDX - Probably finished second. Really liked it, especially the larger tires and great ride and comfort. It was noticeably slower than the other mowers in my observance. But, my biggest worry was reading the deck clogged and needed cleaning more than other models, and the grass chute opening did indeed seem small. Also, every dealer noted the bolted deck.

Bobcat CRZ 52 - Really a great deal with the 5 year warranty, and seems to be built like a tank. Was quoted at $3900 + tax. Seemed fast. But, there's no way I could deal with the seat. The least comfortable in this group by far. And the ride was very bouncy, which was attributed to how the seat was setup on the springs underneath. I mean, the seat was bouncy even when you weren't in motion.

So, that's my 02 cents worth. Honestly, when you look at models in this price range, they're more similar than they are different. But, there's enough subtle differences in the models combined with people's personal preferences that may sway them one way over another.

tbzep

Threads
I like my Gravely and I'm sure you will too. The Ariens Ikon is what lead me to research and ultimately steer myself toward Gravely.

One small note for others who may read this...the Dixie Chopper Magnum has Hydro ZT-3200's according to the website.

Dokker

Threads
I like my Gravely and I'm sure you will too. The Ariens Ikon is what lead me to research and ultimately steer myself toward Gravely.

One small note for others who may read this...the Dixie Chopper Magnum has Hydro ZT-3200's according to the website.

Yep, that's correct. The Magnum I was looking at would usually be much higher than the other mowers on this list, but it was a leftover model from last year that had a Briggs & Stratton motor, so it was heavily discounted.

Dokker

Threads
4yt9ddMjsDek0_LC_6MAM7p3TLdeaZg4FekQdlafV9spX92IB

tbzep

Threads
Looks like a Ferrari in that red paint, doesn't it? It will do wheelies. :thumbsup: I'm tempted every time I get on mine, then I think about what replacement hydros cost. $$$ :eek: