Honda HRC216 vs HRX217

Ringneck

Threads
I'm looking at purchasing a new mower for homeowner use. I do not mow commercially. I mulch 90% of the time. Which of these models mulch the best? I'm leaning towards buying the HRC just because I want a really stout mower but I'm wondering if the HRX will mulch better. The only time I really bag is for spring and fall lawn cleanup. I have a HRR216VYA that I'm fairly happy with. In my opinion the HRR in underpowered. It struggles in thick Bermuda, which is why I'm looking for a new more powerful machine.

cruzenmike

Threads
I personally own the HRX and have recommended it to many a people looking for a quality machine. Any machine including the two you are considering, are only going to mulch well if your blades are sharp and you don't try to take off more than you should. This is from the HRX manual "Most grasses should be mowed when they have grown 1/2 to 1 inch above their recommended height. More frequent mowing is required for mulching than for bagging. For best results, you may need to mow the lawn twice a week during the growing season.."

I will also tell you that the HRX is a stout machine as well. I could not believe how heavy and solid it is. I am fan of everything Honda, so I do not think you could go wrong either way!

Mike

apwillard1986

Threads
Both are excellent. The HRX is more powerful than the HRC. If power is your goal then the HRX is a good choice. Even though it isn't commercial grade many lawn services in my area use them and put lots of hours on them.

That said if you can justify the cost of the HRC then why the heck not!? The HRC has the commercial grade engine which makes all the difference to me. It may be less powerful but it is smoother and quieter than the premium residential offerings on the HRX. The HRC is as close as one can get to buying a new Masters Series.

I would suggest checking them out side by side at a dealer.