Garden Tractors JD vs Simplicity

Dogwalker10

Threads
My wife's X500 is starting to have some issues. Thinking of replacing it with a Simplicity. Do not know if the are a better tractor, but the dealer has a good reputation. We do some mowing, push snow, pull a cart, and a yard sweeper. New tractor must have a weather shield and snow blade. I do most of the mowing with the ZTR.
Are the new X500 series better than our 8 year old?
Jerry

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
My wife's X500 is starting to have some issues. Thinking of replacing it with a Simplicity. Do not know if the are a better tractor, but the dealer has a good reputation. We do some mowing, push snow, pull a cart, and a yard sweeper. New tractor must have a weather shield and snow blade. I do most of the mowing with the ZTR.
Are the new X500 series better than our 8 year old?
Jerry

I have worked on both brands and my vote is Simplicity for sure. Just a well made tractor.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I agree Simplicity, but the you should go with a mid range model. A Regent will not do the job for you.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would go with the Legacy if you can swing the price, or the Conquest.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
It all depends on how much snow removal you plan on doing. It takes traction and weight to move deep heavy snow and most standard lawn tractors only have one drive wheel because of a differential style rear drive axle. Mowing, pulling a cart, or sweeping a lawn doesn't take much traction.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
If I had it to do over, I would not push snow with a tractor. Actually, I don't "push" snow, I mostly pull it with a rear blade but the difference is the same. I "push" it when I'm going backwards.

If you get a heavy snow, you've got to push it far enough away to make room for the "next" snow that might fall before this snow melts and big piles of snow melt slowly. Snow blower will throw that crap plenty far enough on the first pass.

Instead, I'd opt for a self-propelled two-stage snow blower. When you consider than you don't need a heavier or 4WD tractor and a blade, the cost of the snowblower isn't that much and may even be less than buying all the equipment to push snow.

Dogwalker10

Threads
If I had it to do over, I would not push snow with a tractor. Actually, I don't "push" snow, I mostly pull it with a rear blade but the difference is the same. I "push" it when I'm going backwards.

If you get a heavy snow, you've got to push it far enough away to make room for the "next" snow that might fall before this snow melts and big piles of snow melt slowly. Snow blower will throw that crap plenty far enough on the first pass.

Instead, I'd opt for a self-propelled two-stage snow blower. When you consider than you don't need a heavier or 4WD tractor and a blade, the cost of the snowblower isn't that much and may even be less than buying all the equipment to push snow.
Have the snow blower and 4WD TC30 with a loader. We use all three. Lite snow the X500 handles. The SB sidewalks and close to building. The loader moves the piles back.