Oil pan stuck on crankshaft?

casper221

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all,
I am new to this forum, so please correct me if I make mistakes.
I have an old B&S 93508 lawnmower motor from '82. It hasn't been used some time and didn't work anymore, so I decided to rebuild it.
Now I tried getting off the oil pan, but couldn't get it off. It will come off like 2cm, but not any further. It's just enough to put my fingers in between.
Put it back to the original position and sanded the shaft very well. It still won't come any further. All bolts are removed (obviously) and only the oil drain plug is still in, because it's stuck(but that shouldn't effect the disassembly, should it?).

Any tips on getting the oil pan off are highly appreciated.

Thank you,
Casper

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check for damaged keyway or other burrs that could be hanging up the crankshaft in the area that it won't go past.

Tinkerer200

Threads
Push the sump back on. Take a pc. of 400 or so wet dry paper or fine emery cloth and polish the crankshaft all the way around as close to the crankshaft seal as possible and out to the step down. Put some oil on the crankshaft then and see if the sump won't slide off.

Walt Conner

casper221

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for the quick responses.
I have already sanded the shaft and it is pretty clean now. The only part I can't sand is where the oil seal is. I think it might be stuck on that part. How could I take out the oil seal before taking the pan off?

Tinkerer200

Threads
Several ways to remove the oil seal besides using a regular tool made for that purpose. You can carefully work a small screw driver in beside it and pop it out being very careful not to damage the seal area on the crankshaft. You can drill a couple of small holes thru the metal part of the seal, run small metal screws in and use them to pull the seal'

HOWEVER, I doubt very much if it is the seal area causing the problem. You just have not gotten in far enough against the seal.

Walt Conner

casper221

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ah okay. So I would first have to try to sand closer to the seal, and if it doesn't work than take out the oil seal.
Using some screws is a very smart option. Do you have an idea how I would be able to sand closer to the seal?
What I've tried is using a small piece of paper to get as close as possible. That did not really work, so I used a small sanding machine, but that might not have gotten far enough.

Tinkerer200

Threads
Well I sure would not use any sanding machine I am aware of. I just use 2 -3 inch square pc. of wet or dry paper with a little cutting oil on it. You can push the paper completely under the seal if you want, you ARE going to put in a new seal?

Walt Conner

casper221

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you Walt for your advice. After ~3 hours of sanding with WD40 the oil pan finally came off.
Now I really damaged my seal. Here in the Netherlands, we only have two stores that could possibly sell these seals.
Can you control my part numbers?
I think I will need 391483s

Thank you in advance!

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've never been to Holland but I would be surprised if oil seals aren't widely available.

If you can't find the seal using the B&S part number, all you need to know to replace your seal are its physical dimensions and the type of seal it is:

Just like a round spacer or washer, the dimensions are as follows:

Outside diameter--Measure the seal O.D.
Inside diameter--Measure the crankshaft where it contacts the seal.
Thickness--Measure the seal width on its metal housing.
Type of seal, single or double lip--Look at the elastomer sealing surface of the seal and see how many "lips" contact the crankshaft.

casper221

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sure we have a lot of stores that sell them, but not so many for older engines. This Briggs is from 1982 and finding parts for it is a real pain.
I will measure it and contact the online store for a matching seal.