CM1936 charger broken and obsolete; am I really going to have to buy a new mower?

Dydst

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / CM1936 charger broken and obsolete; am I really going to have to buy a new mower?
Hello everyone,

First time poster. I own a CM1936 cordless rechargeable mower; and my charger no longer works. The battery appears to be in good condition. The charger is obsolete and no longer manufactured. I found exactly one online, on eBay -- and the bidding is up to nearly $200.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / CM1936 charger broken and obsolete; am I really going to have to buy a new mower?
They still make GASOLINE powered mowers ...Roll it out front, hang a sign on it that says ..FREE !!

Teds

Threads
What is the failure mode of this particular charger, i.e. what the hell is wrong with it, exactly?

One of the coolest things about the internet, is being able to search for obscure items and repair information. Somebody else has probably had the same issue, and may have a workaround. Or maybe you're that person. I'm just thinking outloud here, but it may be just a failed power supply inside the charger. Maybe they used cheap or defective components (crazy talk I know...) and a few capacitors and a diode or something is all that's wrong.

jimshane

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ted, I hope this is the case...I have searched the web and have not yet found a solution. I stopped at Batteries plus and they might have a charger that will work - but it won't be compatible with the connection -so i will have to remove the batteries from the case. I'm okay with that. What ticks me off is that I was told by a Dewalt representative (who, I believe owns Black and Decker) - and they said Black and Decker intentionally change the mowers ever couple of years so users have to buy a new one. I hope that isn't true.

I purchased a new battery and so have been able to cut my lawn a couple of times because it came charged.

Teds

Threads
Exactly. I was leading to that, determine the type of battery and charging voltage and something can be made to work. But another question is whether a bad battery caused the charger to fail?

I would normally say even a new battery should be charged before use but the technology changes.

jimshane

Forum Newbie
Threads
I stopped in Batteries+Bulbs again today. I brought in my Black and Decker battery - with the plastic case opened - so they could see the insides. They sell a compatible 3 pack of 12V batteries than be slipped into the case - and they discussed with me various chargers that would work with this. I could charge each of the 12V batteries separately (these were relatively modest prices). after further discussion, the representative said he could find a "36V GOLF ART MAINTAINER" JAC0336MAN which could be used to charge the 3pack all at once. ($103.99 + Tax).

I decided to go with the Golf Cart charger - but it will take a few weeks to get in. I'm going to purchase a new 3pack of 12V that can slide into the case. This will come fully charged ($45+tax) - so I will have a spare battery which I can keep charged and alternate them.

I'll let you know how it all works.

jim