how to time 26hp vtwin

Threads
While replacing sump the crank gear slid off and is now 1/2 tooth off. How do I time it? Timing marks are 4 teeth off. model 445877

Last edited:

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
The only way I know to time anything is to assemble it correctly, i.e., with all the timing marks matching.

BTW, how can a gear be off a half tooth?

Threads
when I tried to push timing gear back on it hits the cam gear mid tooth. when i truned cam to line up it jumped a couple teeth..

Tinkerer200

Threads
Well you are assembling it wrong as suggested above. The timing gear goes on with the tapered inside edge facing in then line up the timing marks on the crankshaft and camshaft, push the cam shaft in. Make sure the little key doesn't slide out of the crankshaft while you are doing this.

Walt Conner

Threads
Thanks Boobala, got all timed and valves adjusted but when I started it it won't idle just full RPM's. Adjusted gov linkage and still won't idle unless I push the gov arm up. Any ideas?

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks Boobala, got all timed and valves adjusted but when I started it it won't idle just full RPM's. Adjusted gov linkage and still won't idle unless I push the gov arm up. Any ideas?

If you assembled the crankshaft and camshaft in the correct alignment ...then the only other area I would look to
would be the CARBURETOR governor and linkage see section 4 (four) of the Manual I sent previously ( I hope you did
keep a downloaded copy ) if not let me know I will resend ... I know this is frustrating ... BUT ..you must be sure to
follow assembly and adjustment procedures with PATIENCE ! It will all come together ... Boobala ..:thumbsup:

Threads
adjusted gov. linkage again and again per manual. still only runs at full RPM's. should the gov. linkage be at full throttle with engine off and throttle lever at slow, because it is?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
adjusted gov. linkage again and again per manual. still only runs at full RPM's. should the gov. linkage be at full throttle with engine off and throttle lever at slow, because it is?

Yes the governor SLOWS the engine down.
The faster the engine goes the harder it trys to close down the throttle butterfly.
When the engine is not going the governor will allow the throttle to open fully.
99% of the time people adjust them backwards