did I blow it up?

cjben

Threads
What does "won't restart" mean?
Does it crank? yes
Is there a click when you push the button or turn the key?
Or, when you attempt to start does it do nothing? Meaning it does nothing there is no audio sound? It does not crank or make any sound?cranks just fine ou'll need to forget the tshirt and act like its a brand new problem.

So 1st determine whether it is a gas issue or an electrical issue? Then troubleshoot from there.
But change the spark plug 1st and shoot some gas or starter fluid into the carburetor and see if it starts.

Look for the obvious first.
Is the connection to the battery alright?yes
Does it have gas in the tank?yes
Is your PTO engaged?no
Do you have to sit on the seat to start?not if the brake is locked
Is the spark plug wire fully seated?yes
Does it require that your clutch/brake is depressed fully?yes

Eliminate all obvious and operational errors 1st.
I don't think you blew it up. I don't think you did anything to it other than running over the tee shirt and binding the blade to stop the engine. I think the problem is a very simple and obvious one that's hiding right in front of you.

Good luck!

ok,here is what I did today. pulled the valve cover and turned the engine over by hand. valves move,so I know one of them isn't broke. Did a compression test and got a zero reading,but not real sure my gauge actually works,been 15 years since I've used it. I did notice when I was cranking the engine with the key while doing the compression test,there was A TON of oil blowby coming out of the dipstick tube and what smelled like gas/blowby coming out of the carb. I have attached a picture of what the key/crankshaft looks like. looks normal to me. If you look close,you can still see the key in the keyway and lined up correctly.

Attachments

• engine key.jpg
    engine key.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 14

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
You said early that you held your thumb over the spark plug hole and it had compression. That and the fact that it was running at the time leads me to believe it has compression. Being an ex-gearhead, you can probably tell if an engine has no compression by the sound it makes while cranking.

Seeing fumes coming from the crankcase vent is normal. All engines are pumps and the air in the crankcase gets compressed by the piston moving downward. It has to go somewhere. Likewise it has to allow air back into the crankcase when the piston moves upward. Single cylinder engines are among the worst in this regard. Multi cylinder engines have this pumping minimized by having some pistons moving up and some moving down at the same time, thus canceling each other out.

I can't think of anything that a sudden stoppage could do to cause the engine to not have compression unless the compression release is somehow holding a valve open. Make sure that both valves are closing fully.

cjben

Threads
cpurvis,did you look at the picture of the keyway? does that look good to you? By crankcase vent,you mean dipstick tube because that is where the blowby,actually oil was spraying out? also blowby/maybe gas coming out of the carb. It does seem like the timing is off,but everything is lined up so I don't think that is it.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes, I looked at it and it does look OK.

Yes, the dipstick tube is all part of the crankcase.

I'm afraid I don't have any other suggestions to offer. Sorry.

cjben

Threads
Yes, I looked at it and it does look OK.

Yes, the dipstick tube is all part of the crankcase.

I'm afraid I don't have any other suggestions to offer. Sorry.

Thanks for the help!! just seems like I am missing something simple. For whatever reason,the engine did crank when the shirt was caught in the blades even though I had the blades shut off. Almost seems like it isn't getting enough spark because of a safety feature or something but I doubt a 10 year old lt2000 is that sophisticated. Wifey is threatening to go buy me a new one,have to get it running before she does that!!:thumbsup:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Have you tried using a different spark plug. Today's plugs are fragile and will do weird things, like have spark when grounded but not under compression.

cjben

Threads
Have you tried using a different spark plug. Today's plugs are fragile and will do weird things, like have spark when grounded but not under compression.

Well,put a new plug in today. And if it wasn't broke before,I think it is now. :thumbdown: Tried to start it and HUGE pop and backfire through the carb. kids came running out and asked me what I was shooting at.:laughing: so I think the spark is good now,but still acts like it is out of time. Maybe I'll take the wifey up on her offer. bout tired of messing with this pos.:mur:

cjben

Threads
Well,put a new plug in today. And if it wasn't broke before,I think it is now. :thumbdown: Tried to start it and HUGE pop and backfire through the carb. kids came running out and asked me what I was shooting at.:laughing: so I think the spark is good now,but still acts like it is out of time. Maybe I'll take the wifey up on her offer. bout tired of messing with this pos.:mur:

Does anybody think I could have bent a valve when I tried to start the engine with the blades still on? Engine cranked over real slow like it was under pressure,well because it was. lol How hard is it to replace and adjust the valves?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Get a new head gasket & pull the head off.
Good chance you will find something stuck under the inlet valve holding it open
Other than that, the cam is cactus.

FahkNutz

Threads
Symptoms are broken flywheel key. Possibly the key broke, engine spun full turn and stopped with key-way, aligned again on broken key. Timing is now way off, by 180 degrees. Need a flywheel puller and a $1.65 flywheel key.