Tiger Cat problem

Jdavis131

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a new tiger cat with just under 10 hours. I have mowed three or four times with one of those times being about 5 acres of mowing.

Today, in the middle of mowing, after about an hour of use, the mower started giving me problems. When going forward the engine would start to die, or would sound bogged down. The check engine light would come on also. This happens regardless of blade engagement or not. I was able to keep it going at a low speed to get it trailered, however any speed other than little throttle would cause the problem to kick in. Any ideas before I haul it back to the dealer 2 hours away?

RDA.Lawns

Threads
Take it to the dealer its under warranty. Sounds like you have a EFI engine and its probably a sensor.

clay45

Threads
Check oil and air filter first.

mcdonell

Threads
You might want to check out these two posts and see if they may help you. I think they will.

Also I read somewhere that too full of fuel tanks can splash into filters and canisters causing a problem like this.

The bottom line is it is probably a ground issue. The dealer needs to get after it for you.

There are some smart folks on this forum. I will follow your thread and maybe learn something. :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBq8qOGtiKM

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/showthread.php/42436-My-Scag-quit-running-after-10-8-hours

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
You might want to check out these two posts and see if they may help you. I think they will.

Also I read somewhere that too full of fuel tanks can splash into filters and canisters causing a problem like this.

The bottom line is it is probably a ground issue. The dealer needs to get after it for you.

There are some smart folks on this forum. I will follow your thread and maybe learn something. :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBq8qOGtiKM

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/showthread.php/42436-My-Scag-quit-running-after-10-8-hours

I have three Tiger Cats and I can tell you from experience that over filling gas tanks can cause you serious problems.

Always fill them to the bottom of the white inserts in the tanks and no higher.

Jdavis131

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have three Tiger Cats and I can tell you from experience that over filling gas tanks can cause you serious problems.

Always fill them to the bottom of the white inserts in the tanks and no higher.

I was mowing a significant hill and on full tanks. The mechanic thinks that was the problem and said to let it 'dry out'...any idea how long that takes? What other steps would you recommend? I'll be taking it into the shop if this drying out doesn't work. Didn't know if there were other steps to consider with possible fuel going where it shouldn't.

Thanks for the tips.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does your Tiger Cat have tethers on the fuel fill caps and a white insert in the fuel fill hole?
If so, then your machine has a fuel evaporative system installed.
Look at the parts manual for your machine, find the fuel system page.
Item number 14 is a carbon canister which is not intended to have liquid fuel in it, just vapors.
If there is liquid fuel in the carbon canister, then you have overfilled the fuel tanks.
When this canister gets wet with liquid fuel, the liquid fuel will get passed on into the engine intake and also stops the fuel tanks from venting while fuel is being drawn from them.
When the fuel evaporative system gets liquid fuel in it to any extent, it will take a long time to "dry out".
The carbon canister may never dry out and may need to be replaced to allow the evaporative system to function properly.
Your operators manual shows where the full fuel level is and also discusses the fuel evaporative system.
During operation, the fuel evaporative systems functions on both fuel tanks, not just the one on service.
If you have overfilled both fuel tanks, then both tanks need to be syphoned off to bring the fuel levels down to the correct level.
If you don't have an operators manual for your specific machine, get the model and serial numbers, go the the Scag website, and download the manual.
All machines produced since 2012 have some sort of fuel evaporative system installed due to more stringent EPA regulations.
Some of these systems are much more sensitive to liquid fuel injection than others.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I was mowing a significant hill and on full tanks. The mechanic thinks that was the problem and said to let it 'dry out'...any idea how long that takes? What other steps would you recommend? I'll be taking it into the shop if this drying out doesn't work. Didn't know if there were other steps to consider with possible fuel going where it shouldn't.

Thanks for the tips.

They are probably have to change out the canisters on it. Not even sure where they are or what is involved in changing them. I do not think that just drying out is going to fix the problem. I know we have had one over filled and before it was over with we had to have a carburetor worked on.