Hustler Raptor SDX or Scag Liberty Z

BoylermanCT

Threads
I considered the Liberty Z vs the Raptor SD. Really liked the Scag, especially its 5 year warranty compared to the 3 year Hustler warranty. But the Scag was $500 more than the SD, so I saved the money and went with the Hustler. Been very happy with it. If they were the same price, like you are looking at with the SDX, I would go with the Scag.

War Eagle

Threads
Does either have cutout valves (or whatever they are called) on the hydraulics so the mower can be pushed around easily inside a shop or garage without the engine running?

Homer1

Threads
Pretty much any hydro now a days has a bypass of some sort.

I'm a scag fan all the way. The Hustler doesn't hold a candle to it imo. Especially anything under the Fastrack series.

Go with the Liberty and Kaw, a few more dollars up front for a lot of years of happy operation.

With that kawasaki engine, and the 2800 drives, you pretty much have a commercial grade mower.

scrous

Threads
Hey thanks for replying, I was worried no one had info on either of these models. I was quoted $4499 on the Scag with a 52" deck and Kawasaki engine. $4299 if I paid cash. I believe they are slightly cheaper if you choose the Kohler engine. Were the dealers speaking about the problems with the SDX in particular or just Hustler as a whole?

Hey there, I think you'd be happy with either ZTR. The Scags seem to get better that Hustler as you go up to commercial, IMHO. I'm just a homeowner mowing a few acres. I went with the Hustler SD 60 from dealer after much research and trips to different dealers. I read all the reviews I could find and am betting most of the negative issues were addressed in 2017. I'm OK with the Kohler 7000 Series Pro, leary of the Smart Choke but will cable it if needed.. I'm just a few hours in to the Hustler and its a little beast so far.. my first ZTR so time will tell. Hope this helps.