Hustler Raptor SDX or Scag Liberty Z

Cdhylton21

Forum Newbie
Threads
Need a zero turn for 2.5 acres at home. I have narrowed it down to Hustler or Scag due to dealer locations. I was originally considering a Raptor SD but have read all of the mixed reviews and am also interested in the Kawasaki.

Does anyone have experience with the new Raptor SDX? Right now it is between that or the Scag Liberty Z with the Kawasaki. The price difference is a few hundred dollars.

I want something that will last without going over 5k and stepping up to commercial grade. Thanks!

Dokker

Threads
I'm in a similar position as you, and have been reading and viewing mowers in this price range non stop the last few weeks. The SDX is on my short list.

One thing I can tell you is the 2 dealers I visited here in Louisville that carry the Hustler (along with other brands) did not seem to favor it over others they carried. Reliability issues in the 2016 models, that they thought were now fixed in the '17, seemed to shy them away from recommending it. They also didn't like the bolted deck. I'm not familiar enough with ZTR's to know how big a deal that is really.

One dealer offered me the SDX for $3900 + tax.

As for the Scag Liberty, everyone seems to recommend the Scag mowers, but I didn't' personally research that one. I was thinking it's almost 1000 $ more?

Cdhylton21

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm in a similar position as you, and have been reading and viewing mowers in this price range non stop the last few weeks. The SDX is on my short list.

One thing I can tell you is the 2 dealers I visited here in Louisville that carry the Hustler (along with other brands) did not seem to favor it over others they carried. Reliability issues in the 2016 models, that they thought were now fixed in the '17, seemed to shy them away from recommending it. They also didn't like the bolted deck. I'm not familiar enough with ZTR's to know how big a deal that is really.

One dealer offered me the SDX for $3900 + tax.

As for the Scag Liberty, everyone seems to recommend the Scag mowers, but I didn't' personally research that one. I was thinking it's almost 1000 $ more?

Hey thanks for replying, I was worried no one had info on either of these models. I was quoted $4499 on the Scag with a 52" deck and Kawasaki engine. $4299 if I paid cash. I believe they are slightly cheaper if you choose the Kohler engine. Were the dealers speaking about the problems with the SDX in particular or just Hustler as a whole?

Dokker

Threads
They were speaking of the SD models (including the SDX) in particular. Apparently something on the deck kept breaking last year. They were positive it was fixed this year.

Specifically one dealer, who wasn't pushy in the least, casually said the Bobcat CRZ was a better mower, and indeed if you look up that Bobcat, people say it's a steal at it's price (I think he said $3800). I know it sounds petty, but I just wasn't crazy about the look of the Bobcat. But if you search YouTube for it, lots of positive feedback about it.

Dealer 2 just said he didn't like the bolted deck on the Raptors. I've been unable to understand why. But, he steered me toward a Gravely. Also had Bad Boy mowers there he sold and liked, but said he just started selling them and couldn't confidently say anything yet about reliability.

That is probably a very good deal you found on the Scag. I heard that model had a recall a year or 2 ago - even took it off market for a few months. Might want to check into it, but everything I've read recently is very positive about it. I didn't realize it might be possible to get one at that price, I may stop by a dealer tomorrow for a look.

Cdhylton21

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yeah I did see there were recalls a couple of years ago on the Scag. That was one thing that peaked my interest about the Liberty Z, they offer a 5 year warranty with that model now. I'm guessing to draw buyers in after the issues they had with them. Also, I was under the impression that the Raptor SDX was a new model for 2017, but I could be completely wrong about that. I know the Raptor and Raptor SD have been out for years and there is a Fastrak SDX that has been out for a good while, but again I'm new to zero turns and all these brands and models so I could be mistaken.

Dokker

Threads
Pretty sure you're right - the SDX is new in 17. However, it shares the same structural features of the SD model, which is where the 2016 and previous models had their issues. I think with the SDX you get the Kawasaki engine, an engine guard, and an auto parking brake.

I really do like the Raptor, looking at it in person. In that price range, it has some of the bigger tires available as well.

Anyone know if the bolted deck (vs welded tubular) on the Raptor is really a negative?

btc54051

Forum Newbie
Threads
i would definitely get the 54" no question. i would guess better resale down the road and a little less time mowing means less hours on the machine, could mean even higher resale.
you can get the 2017 raptor sdx 54 for about 3700 after tax easy. i paid 3300 for mine brand new after tax. i haven't had mine long so i cant comment on reliability but it feels like a solid machine and i love the kawasaki motor.
the only thing so far that i dont like is lifting the deck with my foot, its pretty heavy. but i have a bad knee so it probably just me. and thankfully i dont have to adjust it very often.
i will post more after i get some hours on it. i am cheap so i still feel i paid a lot of money for this mower, i just hope it lasts me for 10-15 years on my 3 acres.

Dokker

Threads
So a quick question. I have exactly zero experience on these, other than what I've driven at the dealer. I'm in Louisville, KY and only one dealer had anywhere I could drive a ZTR on any rough terrain. Anyway, the deck on it wasn't exactly quiet, it bounced around somewhat and made the noise you would expect from a deck bouncing around. But it seemed loud to me. He said that was just the flex in the deck doing what it was designed to do. But, really... is that normal?

btc54051

Forum Newbie
Threads
So a quick question. I have exactly zero experience on these, other than what I've driven at the dealer. I'm in Louisville, KY and only one dealer had anywhere I could drive a ZTR on any rough terrain. Anyway, the deck on it wasn't exactly quiet, it bounced around somewhat and made the noise you would expect from a deck bouncing around. But it seemed loud to me. He said that was just the flex in the deck doing what it was designed to do. But, really... is that normal?

over rough terrain i think they will all rattle quite a bit. these are faster and the faster you go the rougher they will be.

Dokker

Threads
Thanks BTC, that makes sense. Probably should've known that as my old JD rider deck bounced around like crazy (but the mower just kept ticking).

To the OP.... I did get to see another Raptor SDX today. I think my main concern would be the deck opening where grass exits looks small compared to other models. Which seems to fit the narrative that these have tendency to get some grass buildup under the deck. But, maybe that's offset by it having a faster blade speed than the others.

Interested to hear what you decide.