Need blade info

cambre

Threads
I have a Grasshopper 725D & the blades are made out of hard steel, witch I like. I don't like to use my bench grinder to sharpen the blades, I prefer using a file. I have a large lawn that I seeded twice with lawn fescue the last two years. I sharpen the blades before each mowing, I like a good clean even cut. I'm really not nuts. I like a good looking lawn. My problem is finding files that will do the job. There are a thousands on line & seems like hundreds of companys that make them. I would like advice on this from you guys & gals, thanks.

BWH

Threads
Cambre

I'm with you, the power fold deck definitely makes it very tempting to keep the blades at maximum performance! I have been known to take a file to my blades from time to time I don't know the brand of file but it works very well with my factory Grasshopper blades, it does take a reasonable bite of metal without using much force. I did buy the best file I could find in Menards it may be Stanley I'm not sure.

It takes me a few hours to mow my property and I sharpen every few mowing's although I do use a Magna Matic blade sharpener, by keeping after them it really doesn't take but a single pass or two after which I may clean them up with the file. Your right I can tell the difference in the lawn by keeping the blades fresh but I would have to admit without the power fold deck it would be quite a bit tougher.

Never feel guilty about wanting to have the best cut in the neighborhood I realize the lawn care guys can't spend the time us amateurs do taking care of blades but that's a perk of only mowing our own acreage's.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Nicholson was the brand name I grew up with. They made good files but I can't vouch for today; I haven't bought a file in ~15 years.

I have a 12" Nicholson file I use on blades but am getting lazy now and use a 4 1/2" angle grinder more often than not.

cambre

Threads
Cambre

I'm with you, the power fold deck definitely makes it very tempting to keep the blades at maximum performance! I have been known to take a file to my blades from time to time I don't know the brand of file but it works very well with my factory Grasshopper blades, it does take a reasonable bite of metal without using much force. I did buy the best file I could find in Menards it may be Stanley I'm not sure.

It takes me a few hours to mow my property and I sharpen every few mowing's although I do use a Magna Matic blade sharpener, by keeping after them it really doesn't take but a single pass or two after which I may clean them up with the file. Your right I can tell the difference in the lawn by keeping the blades fresh but I would have to admit without the power fold deck it would be quite a bit tougher.

Never feel guilty about wanting to have the best cut in the neighborhood I realize the lawn care guys can't spend the time us amateurs do taking care of blades but that's a perk of only mowing our own acreage's.

BWH: Thanks for info, will check out Stanley files. The Magna Matic sharpener sounds like something I can use. Thanks again.

cambre

Threads
Nicholson was the brand name I grew up with. They made good files but I can't vouch for today; I haven't bought a file in ~15 years.

I have a 12" Nicholson file I use on blades but am getting lazy now and use a 4 1/2" angle grinder more often than not.

Thanks cpurvis: I will check the Nicholson files.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Cambre

I sharpen my blades every day after mowing. I have a few sets and keep one sharp one in my truck and one in my garage and sharpen after the end of day. Takes about 10 min to swap sharp blades then sharpen the old ones. I use and angle grinder with a flapper attached.
flap disk.jpg