Seat for my son on my Hustler

Mattj2235

Forum Newbie
Threads
IMG_1833.jpgIMG_1834.jpg

A couple of weeks ago I made a post asking if anyone had ever seen a custom seat for kid on a ZTR. I caught a lot of flak for the idea. Well, meet my son, 2 1/2 years old and all boy! And this is his chair that I built for him to be ble to ride with me when I mow. I used two heavy duty clamps to be able to attach and detach the chair from the foot rest. I designed it where the only way to get the chair off is to turn the eye bolts that the clamps attach to a certain way and menouver the chair out. When the clamps are latched, the chair is one with the mower. He won't fit in the seat for to much longer, which is ok. A good amount of force has to be applied to unlatch the clamps. I can feel everything of the chair between my legs. He loves it! He has his own seat with cushions that I made with fabric and stuffing. The only way he can get in or out is with my help. Scary things can be safe with a little bit of thought.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think you've taken leave of your senses. Being out of the city and on a farm for three years apparently only taught you to take unnecessary risks for others who depend upon you to NOT put them at risk.

I hope nothing happens.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
While I still do not believe it is a good idea, at least you have taken what was posted to heart and done a good job at mitigating most of the unnecessary risks

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Matt,

I think it's a capitol idea! The world seems to be terrified of everything now-a-days and you have made every effort to mitigate possible problems, while allowing your son to be involved in some excitement! Let's face it, just 'living' is taking a chance and what's the value of life if you can't enjoy it!

Best wishes..

Roger B

cdestuck

Threads
I think you've taken leave of your senses. Being out of the city and on a farm for three years apparently only taught you to take unnecessary risks for others who depend upon you to NOT put them at risk.

I hope nothing happens.

Do you pay a service to cut your lawn? Well you should. Why take the risk of your life or limbs. You never know when a blade could fly off a spindle because of some defect, a engine blow and you catch a hunk of block in your neck and bleed out all over your front yard. I'm sure this guy can figure out the risk/reward factor and never want to see his child hurt. And BTW, NEVER look at your car heater control to adjust it, that would be taking your eyes off the road just for the sake of some heat

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Do you pay a service to cut your lawn? Well you should. Why take the risk of your life or limbs. You never know when a blade could fly off a spindle because of some defect, a engine blow and you catch a hunk of block in your neck and bleed out all over your front yard. I'm sure this guy can figure out the risk/reward factor and never want to see his child hurt. And BTW, NEVER look at your car heater control to adjust it, that would be taking your eyes off the road just for the sake of some heat

Excellent advice, brainiac. All those situations are identically risky to carrying a kid on a mower.

BTW, what's the REWARD for carrying a child on a mower? We all know what the risk is--a dead kid.

cdestuck

Threads
Excellent advice, brainiac. All those situations are identically risky to carrying a kid on a mower.

BTW, what's the REWARD for carrying a child on a mower? We all know what the risk is--a dead kid.

First of all, father and son time is great unless your kids prefer veggin out in the house with his nose in a video game.

And if this child is going to be killed sitting and strapped in this mower then so is the operator brain child. So why risk your own life. Pay a pro who knows how to mow as you must be one reckless mow dud.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
First of all, father and son time is great unless your kids prefer veggin out in the house with his nose in a video game.

And if this child is going to be killed sitting and strapped in this mower then so is the operator brain child. So why risk your own life. Pay a pro who knows how to mow as you must be one reckless mow dud.

More advice from the resident safety expert! Everyone, quick, go out and strap your kid to your lawnmower while you mow, for he KNOWS you, too, will be killed at the same moment as your child and you'll never have to see what happened!

cdestuck

Threads
More advice from the resident safety expert! Everyone, quick, go out and strap your kid to your lawnmower while you mow, for he KNOWS you, too, will be killed at the same moment as your child and you'll never have to see what happened!

No use talking with a person that can't see the forest for the trees. Keep your kids out of planes, trains, and automobiles

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
No use talking with a person that can't see the forest for the trees. Keep your kids out of planes, trains, and automobiles

No thanks for your unwanted advice; it won't be taken.

Anyone who thinks it's OK to put a kid on a lawnmower has no business giving safety advice to anybody.