Seat for my son on my Hustler

helomech

Threads
Wow, safety nazi's at work would be proud of some on here. Mow with you kid, he will be fine. We can't put rubber bumpers on everything. I bet your kid will remember and cherish those times mowing with his dad. I know I did. Got plenty pics of me on my dads lap.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No really a safety nazi.
There are necessary risks like crossing a road, there are risks in learning like burning their fingers on a hot iron, or falling out of a tree and there are unnecessary risks.
One of my fondest memories of my deceased dad is sitting on the cross bar of his pushbike being ridden down to the local pool to watch my sister competing in swimming races.
However I would never even thought of doing the same with my kids although they rode their pushbikes to school from around 8, in suburban traffic supervised by one of the ride to school parents.
This had a purpose, it gave them exercise and taught them road safety and started on the path of teaching them personnal safety responsability and the cost was lots of grazes and some torn cloths.
Now days the same school has banned kids riding to school & removed all of the push bike racks. That is being Safety Nazis.

I am very happy to allow some risk to the grandkids provided there is some payback to the childs learning and treating a dangerous tool as a toy teaches them all the wrong things.
Everything in the world is not there for their own pleasure and they can not have what they want, when they want it because they want it, all very valuable lessons.

It is easy to forget things like just how vunerable kids bodies are to things, got some assosiates who like riding bikes with very loud pipes.
Both of their kids are partially deaf but they can not seem to link the kids hearing loss with them being around loud motorcycle exhausts.
At some point in time the kids will link it the what do you say to your kids.
And mine all ride motorcycles as I still do at 67 so no not adverse to risk and definately not a risk nazi .Just try to member how many times you heard "i never thought that could have happens" after some one is imjured.
The bit that is important is the I NEVER THOUGHT. so many people are just plain to lazy the be bothered to have a thought about what they do for the briefest of time before they do it.

helomech

Threads
No really a safety nazi.
There are necessary risks like crossing a road, there are risks in learning like burning their fingers on a hot iron, or falling out of a tree and there are unnecessary risks.
One of my fondest memories of my deceased dad is sitting on the cross bar of his pushbike being ridden down to the local pool to watch my sister competing in swimming races.
However I would never even thought of doing the same with my kids although they rode their pushbikes to school from around 8, in suburban traffic supervised by one of the ride to school parents.
This had a purpose, it gave them exercise and taught them road safety and started on the path of teaching them personnal safety responsability and the cost was lots of grazes and some torn cloths.
Now days the same school has banned kids riding to school & removed all of the push bike racks. That is being Safety Nazis.

I am very happy to allow some risk to the grandkids provided there is some payback to the childs learning and treating a dangerous tool as a toy teaches them all the wrong things.
Everything in the world is not there for their own pleasure and they can not have what they want, when they want it because they want it, all very valuable lessons.

It is easy to forget things like just how vunerable kids bodies are to things, got some assosiates who like riding bikes with very loud pipes.
Both of their kids are partially deaf but they can not seem to link the kids hearing loss with them being around loud motorcycle exhausts.
At some point in time the kids will link it the what do you say to your kids.
And mine all ride motorcycles as I still do at 67 so no not adverse to risk and definately not a risk nazi .Just try to member how many times you heard "i never thought that could have happens" after some one is imjured.
The bit that is important is the I NEVER THOUGHT. so many people are just plain to lazy the be bothered to have a thought about what they do for the briefest of time before they do it.

True, but the kid is way more likely to get killed in a car, or drown in a bucket, or fall down stairs. The odds of a kid getting hurt riding on a mower (especially in a seat) are so slim it is not even worth discussing IMO. I have been almost killed many times, from being shot, hit by a car, and damn near drowned three times. Crap happens, and not enjoying time with a kid because there is a .00000001% chance he might get hurt IMO is crazy.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Parents and other people can play what if on everything that could go wrong. What is safer having the kid in a seat strapped to a mower, or the possible change that the same kid will sneak out of the house and get run over by the mower, or severely injured from flying debris from the mower. The say don't let kids ride on tractors without a jump seat in the cab, but you follow the safety rules and you break a spring on a field cultivator, and the spring goes through the back window killing your 7 year old grandson instantly.

The experts would like to make it were you would need to stop sleeping and what your children sleep, because they may stop breathing, or fall out of bed, or pee the bed and not wake up, and don't turn away and get your son a towel so you can remove him from the tub, because he could stand up, slip, hit his head and drown in the tub. The truth is there is risk in all things that parents and other people do. What may not be acceptable to one person, may not have other options available other than to take some risk to possible reduce the possibility of other risk.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
True, but the kid is way more likely to get killed in a car, or drown in a bucket, or fall down stairs. The odds of a kid getting hurt riding on a mower (especially in a seat) are so slim it is not even worth discussing IMO. I have been almost killed many times, from being shot, hit by a car, and damn near drowned three times. Crap happens, and not enjoying time with a kid because there is a .00000001% chance he might get hurt IMO is crazy.

Statistically the most dangerous place for a child to be is in mummys car, it overtook the bathroom a few years back and before that it was around a swimming place ( pool/river/beach ).
But that is because most of them spend a couple of hours every day, in mummy car.
I do not advocate the cotton wool approach for either children nor adults.
I have always favoured the "let them get hurt & learn" approach rather that trying to make things impossibe to inflict an injury as the latter encourages a brain dead approach to your own safety.
As a male over 25 I have a fully developed brain so am capable of determining what level of risk I am willing to take, from guards missing on the compressor through to driving a mower without ear , eye or hand protection.
Children do not have the same amount of brain developement till puberty in a girl & around 25 in a male so it is our job to compensate for this till the child is capable of making their own decisions.
I drive mowers around 2 hour a day, testing repaired mowers before they go back to the customer.
Usually it is without any safety gear as I need to be able to hear & feel what is going on and it is amazing when clean up just how many little cuts & bruises I end up with.
A tiny cut on my old hard weathered hand is a deep cut on a child's soft skin.
Ad to that kids get excited, the bob up & down, look everywhere other than in front and wave their arms around , making it difficult for the driver to maintain proper control over the vehicle and that is before allowing for the tendency to watch the child and not where you are going.
The OP made his decision and while I do not agree with it he did go to reasonable lengths to protect his grandson physically but as mentioned earlier there is also metal considerations to the developement of the child's brain & how that child perseeves itself in the world

Threads
Statistically the most dangerous place for a child to be is in mummys car, it overtook the bathroom a few years back and before that it was around a swimming place ( pool/river/beach ).
But that is because most of them spend a couple of hours every day, in mummy car.
I do not advocate the cotton wool approach for either children nor adults.
I have always favoured the "let them get hurt & learn" approach rather that trying to make things impossibe to inflict an injury as the latter encourages a brain dead approach to your own safety.
As a male over 25 I have a fully developed brain so am capable of determining what level of risk I am willing to take, from guards missing on the compressor through to driving a mower without ear , eye or hand protection.
Children do not have the same amount of brain developement till puberty in a girl & around 25 in a male so it is our job to compensate for this till the child is capable of making their own decisions.
I drive mowers around 2 hour a day, testing repaired mowers before they go back to the customer.
Usually it is without any safety gear as I need to be able to hear & feel what is going on and it is amazing when clean up just how many little cuts & bruises I end up with.
A tiny cut on my old hard weathered hand is a deep cut on a child's soft skin.
Ad to that kids get excited, the bob up & down, look everywhere other than in front and wave their arms around , making it difficult for the driver to maintain proper control over the vehicle and that is before allowing for the tendency to watch the child and not where you are going.
The OP made his decision and while I do not agree with it he did go to reasonable lengths to protect his grandson physically but as mentioned earlier there is also metal considerations to the developement of the child's brain & how that child perseeves itself in the world

Wow I now know why the world is the so politically correct and has became a pitiful bunch of crying babies having shouting matches over their feelings being hurt. If fathers and grandfathers are all like the ones on here worrying about a child being hurt on a mower,I am certainly glad I am not a child in today's world. I was born in the 60s and raised in the North Carolina mountains and had thousands of opportunity on a daily basis to become hurt or Killed. My dad taught me to drive the trucks that hauled hay when I was 6 yes 6 and like to know what I became in my professional life, I retired at the age of 44 from Professional Drag Racing with a wonderful career behind me and many close calls that my experience from a young age and my fathers advice to not panic in any situation resulted in not a scratch to me or my equipment. I also raised my son with the same theory and processes and like to know what he is today 2 time world champion race driver at age 25 So go ahead and deprive your children of wonderful exciting teaching and yes dangerous moments. You will likely wind up with a child that has no drive/motivation and serious lack of self esteem. I say thank you to the poster for his love of his child and his willingness to get him out of the house and teach him the value of getting some work done.

Threads
No thanks for your unwanted advice; it won't be taken.

Anyone who thinks it's OK to put a kid on a lawnmower has no business giving safety advice to anybody.

I suppose you wrap your children up in bubble wrap when you get them out of their double padded beds each morning LOL

mhavanti

Threads
Flyingdragracer.

Glad to see we have another racer in the forum. As a racer that will race you on or in anything you can conceive, getting a scratch, cut, abrasion, contusion or thrown around inside a car, truck, boat, tractor, etc. regardless how strong your retaining belts and harnesses we know the risks. I agree with all of you the subscribe to the theory that you may want to try and think thru the consequences and design out the consequences to the best of their ability.

Guess what all, none of us are infallible and thus, things happen. When I look at my old skin now and see how many welding, cuts, scratches, contusions, abrasions, etc. scars, it isn't so smooth and easy to look at as it once was. Would I go back and do every bit of it over again, hell to the yeah! And if I knew then what I know now, I'd be faster and quicker than those days. I may even have more cars in more museums, who knows. One thing I wouldn't have enjoyed is my father and mother stopping me from doing all the things I did and wanted to do and so many more things they had no idea. Restricting a kid's ability to think down the road begins by teaching them fear of the unknown. Matter of fact, more folks comes to forums because of fear of the unknown than their ability of critical thinking.

I was taught to swim by the middle son, I'm the third son, by throwing my arse into the deep end of the public swimming pool. I learned to swim under water before surface swimming. I was three at that time. By the way, I also learned the route to the public swimming pool and rode the three miles on my tricycle with an 18 month old sister standing on the back on the steps to get to that pool. The folks that ran the pool would call my mother on a landline for those that are thinking cell phone, ummm, none of that non-sense in 1954. She'd tell them let them stay until dark and she'd come get us and pay then. I'd get a good switching across the legs, butt, back or anything that got in the way of those switches. I'd head back the very next morning on that trike and the sister would be standing on the back holding on for all she was worth. Today, the entire problem with the world are parents, not children. Children have to be taught right from wrong, not fear to try to do things.

Biggest problem in my opinion is that parents wants to be friends and don't drop kick a kid across the highway when their kids fails to heed instructions the first time. Never tell anyone NO twice. Sets a standard to continue doing wrong.

Ok, pile on parents. lmbo

mhavanti

Threads
PS:

First motorcycle I had was at 5. An Indian sales sample with 12 inch wheels and exposed gear crank. Rode it alongside dad on his Harley Pan Head. I also drove cars and pickups at 5. Began mowing yards at 5. So, put the kids on the mowers and teach them not only how, teach them "why". My only learning problem was not how, where, when, but why. Teach them why it works. They're smarter than you think.

Another PS, just gave a mini bikes to my neighbors two boys. One is 4 the other is 3 and I'm ready to teach them to ride it. Their mom allowed them to have it, just isn't allowing them to ride it. I don't get that. lol

I did promise to build them a motor cycle stand treadmill for them to learn to ride on. She hasn't gotten back to me on that as of yet. It has only been 5 weeks though. lol.

Later all,

Max

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
4 posts to date and every single one seems to be trying to pick a fight with long-time respected members here...