Repairs Craftsman Trimmer (Model 316.731972) Starter Rope Recoil

rickw51

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman Trimmer (Model 316.731972) Starter Rope Recoil
Less than 2 years old and the starter rope would not recoil. I took it to a Sears authorized repair shop and they told me it could not be repaired. When I picked it up and took the cover off I discovered that one of the two little plastic pieces (actual name is Starter Recoil Pawl) was broken. I refused to accept that a $200 trimmer could be trashed because of this little item. Unfortunately this is a part that you can't order from Sears PartsDirect. However the only problem with the pawl was a small peg that protrudes from the bottom was broken off. This peg just keeps the pawl in position. So I drilled a small hole and installed a small steel peg in the place of the broken plastic peg. It worked great. Also be careful of what the repair place tells you. They failed to mention that this particular model is electric start capable so with a ten dollar drill adapter available at Sears it is still very much useful. I have attached pictures for those who may have the same problem. I hope this helps someone. If anyone knows where these pawls can be purchased please share the information.
weedwacker1.jpgweedwacker2.jpgweedwacker3.jpgweedwacker4.jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes there are a lot of "unfixable" things than can be fixed, given enough time & thought.
Congratulations on your work, nice job.
However think about how long it took you to do it then multiply that time by the technicians hourly rate and it becomes an uneconomic proposition for the shop to pull it apart, modify the part then reassemble.
The hole drilled for the pin has now weakened the pawl and it will break at the hole in time. They take a pounding during use.
I spend hundreds of hours chasing up parts like this or finding alternatives that will fit or can be made to fit.

primerbulb120

Threads
I've replaced the pawls on one of these before! If you need new pawls, order part number 75306091. It's a starter clutch, and it has 2 pawls that can be modified to fit. In my case, the sheet metal fan was bent and would not work correctly even with new pawls. I ended up installing the starter clutch on top of the fan and then putting shims on the starter housing bolts so the starter would be the correct distance from the starter clutch. Worked great, and I don't think it'll break anytime soon. I ended up selling it for $80. It hasn't come back, so I'm assuming it still works. :)

rickw51

Forum Newbie
Threads
Update: I was able to find the parts online. The pawls themselves cost about $8 (including shipping). It took approximately 15 minutes to install (removed 4 screws and one split ring. It now works as advertised. It is shameful that the repair facility tried to convince me to trash the equipment when such an easy and inexpensive fix was available. I would publicize their name here but that goes against the purpose of this forum. However if anyone wants to know the name and location send me a private message and I will be glad to provide it.

BrucBarry

Forum Newbie
Threads
Less than 2 years old and the starter rope would not recoil. I took it to a Sears authorized repair shop and they told me it could not be repaired. When I picked it up and took the cover off I discovered that one of the two little plastic pieces (actual name is Starter Recoil Pawl) was broken. I refused to accept that a $200 trimmer could be trashed because of this little item. Unfortunately this is a part that you can't order from Sears PartsDirect. However the only problem with the pawl was a small peg that protrudes from the bottom was broken off. This peg just keeps the pawl in position. So I drilled a small hole and installed a small steel peg in the place of the broken plastic peg. It worked great. Also be careful of what the repair place tells you. They failed to mention that this particular model is electric start capable so with a ten dollar drill adapter available at Sears it is still very much useful. I have attached pictures for those who may have the same problem. I hope this helps someone. If anyone knows where these pawls can be purchased please share the information.
View attachment 32490View attachment 32491View attachment 32492View attachment 32493

Great job and pictures rickw51. Your analysis is dead on. Must be a systemic problem with this trimmer because the exact problem with mine, yet also I lost the tiny little spring that can be seen behind both pawls in your first picture, so I'll have to find a solution for that. I'll return to this forum when I have....

Missildine1

Forum Newbie
Threads
IMG_4754.jpgIMG_4755.jpg
I've replaced the pawls on one of these before! If you need new pawls, order part number 75306091. It's a starter clutch, and it has 2 pawls that can be modified to fit. In my case, the sheet metal fan was bent and would not work correctly even with new pawls. I ended up installing the starter clutch on top of the fan and then putting shims on the starter housing bolts so the starter would be the correct distance from the starter clutch. Worked great, and I don't think it'll break anytime soon. I ended up selling it for $80. It hasn't come back, so I'm assuming it still works. :)

Where can that part number be ordered? I've entered it on Sears Parts Direct and it returns no hits. Also on my trimmer (model number 316.731972) the pawls are metal, not plastic and they fit down on to a metal nub and are held in place by the little "c" shaped clip.
Thanks in advance for your help.IMG_4754.jpgIMG_4755.jpg

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
there is a dash missing from the part number. 753-06091 available about any place that sells or services MTD products.