Husqvarna trimmers (are they all made by Husqvarna)? And Poulan products.

turbofiat124

Threads
  • / Husqvarna trimmers (are they all made by Husqvarna)? And Poulan products.
I'm in the market for a better trimmer. I'm considering buying this Husqvarna from Lowes:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Husqvarna-...-in-Straight-Shaft-Gas-String-Trimmer/1212213

I don't want something real heavy. It sounds like what I am after.

My 7 year old Husqvarna riding mower has been excellent except for deck issues but I'm sure if my yard was not rough as a cobb and I wasn't trying to squeeze my 46" mower through a 48" hole (yard barn), it wouldn't have needed any work.

My question is are all Husqvarna trimmers made by Husqvarna and not some other company?

I've bought my last Poulan product. Seems like 15 years ago they were not that bad. I got 12 years out of Poulan Featherlite weed wacker and a Featherlite leaf blower I bought from Wal-Mart for $70 each at the same time in 2001. The shaft broke where the safety shield attaches to shaft and the recoil messed up on the leaf blower.

I've got several Poulan weed whackers and leaf blower FeatherLites in my storage building people have given me I keep on hand for spare parts. All have various issues. But the actual engines on all of them are excellent! Imagine that.

Something is wrong with the bump head on my current Troy Bilt (which someone told me is made by Poulan). It just spins around and I had to take a pair of small vice grips to remove the bump head. Now for some reason I can't seem to get the bump head off! I'm not sure what's up with it but it's only 2-3 years old.

Would any of you guys recommend on this particular weed whacker?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Low end models are made by Poulan, some of the professional models are made in Sweden.

primerbulb120

Threads
Low end models are made by Poulan, some of the professional models are made in Sweden.

Poulan does not make Husqvarna, Husqvarna makes Poulan. As you said, the professional models are made in Sweden. Some of the big brushcutters have Honda 4 stroke engines.

primerbulb120

Threads
I'm in the market for a better trimmer. I'm considering buying this Husqvarna from Lowes:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Husqvarna-...-in-Straight-Shaft-Gas-String-Trimmer/1212213

I don't want something real heavy. It sounds like what I am after.

My 7 year old Husqvarna riding mower has been excellent except for deck issues but I'm sure if my yard was not rough as a cobb and I wasn't trying to squeeze my 46" mower through a 48" hole (yard barn), it wouldn't have needed any work.

My question is are all Husqvarna trimmers made by Husqvarna and not some other company?

I've bought my last Poulan product. Seems like 15 years ago they were not that bad. I got 12 years out of Poulan Featherlite weed wacker and a Featherlite leaf blower I bought from Wal-Mart for $70 each at the same time in 2001. The shaft broke where the safety shield attaches to shaft and the recoil messed up on the leaf blower.

I've got several Poulan weed whackers and leaf blower FeatherLites in my storage building people have given me I keep on hand for spare parts. All have various issues. But the actual engines on all of them are excellent! Imagine that.

Something is wrong with the bump head on my current Troy Bilt (which someone told me is made by Poulan). It just spins around and I had to take a pair of small vice grips to remove the bump head. Now for some reason I can't seem to get the bump head off! I'm not sure what's up with it but it's only 2-3 years old.

Would any of you guys recommend on this particular weed whacker?

The lower end Husqvarnas (what you're looking at) are made by Husqvarna, and they are better than the Poulans. But if you're looking for a lightweight trimmer with tons of power that will last you a lifetime, get a commercial Husqvarna. I have the 525L, it weighs a little under 10 lbs total.

primerbulb120

Threads
Why on earth would you want a curved shaft trimmer, and a consumer one at that? I would take the Husqvarna you posted earlier any day over a curved shaft Stihl!

I have that same Stihl engine on my edger, and while it does have good power there are a number of drawbacks. The starter is flimsy and likes to fall apart, the gas tank is too small, and the stop switch only works when it wants to. For now I'll put up with it, but when it dies I'm getting a Husqvarna.

If you don't know how adjust carburetors, get your trimmer from a dealer. No matter which machine you buy it will probably need adjustment right out of the box.

turbofiat124

Threads
Why on earth would you want a curved shaft trimmer, and a consumer one at that? I would take the Husqvarna you posted earlier any day over a curved shaft Stihl!

I have that same Stihl engine on my edger, and while it does have good power there are a number of drawbacks. The starter is flimsy and likes to fall apart, the gas tank is too small, and the stop switch only works when it wants to. For now I'll put up with it, but when it dies I'm getting a Husqvarna.

If you don't know how adjust carburetors, get your trimmer from a dealer. No matter which machine you buy it will probably need adjustment right out of the box.

Actually the first trimmer I bought (when I moved into my own house) had a curved shaft. My father gave me this old Ryobi with a straight shaft and had a slightly larger engine. I found it incredible awkward to use after being used to a curved shaft and the extra weight caused me some lower back pain having to carry that thing around. But I maybe it was just the position I was used to using.

I actually though Stihl made good products. The edger your describing sounds like my Poulan.

As far as a consumer model versus professional. I guess for the same reason I wouldn't give $10,000 for a Scag when I can buy something else for $2000. If I owned a lawn care business, yeah I'd invest in a professional model.

primerbulb120

Threads
Stihl makes some very good products, but I wouldn't say this is one of their better machines.

Those old Ryobis weighed a ton, and they are definitely awkward to use. They're not a good example of modern straight shaft trimmers. Go to your local Husqvarna dealer and see if they'll let you try out a Husqvarna straight shaft. Once you use a quality straight shaft, you'll never want to go back to curved.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You don't carry a trimmer, it hangs off your shoulder and all you do is direct it to where you want to cut.
Put the shoulder strap on then hang the trimmer from it.
Standing still the cutting head should sit abut 4" to 6" off the ground with a full tank of fuel.
If not , move the clip on the trimmer.
The further you are away from the cutting head the better it is for you.
You swing a wider arc so less walking

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
You don't carry a trimmer, it hangs off your shoulder and all you do is direct it to where you want to cut.
Put the shoulder strap on then hang the trimmer from it.
Standing still the cutting head should sit abut 4" to 6" off the ground with a full tank of fuel.
If not , move the clip on the trimmer.
The further you are away from the cutting head the better it is for you.
You swing a wider arc so less walking

I agree with you but guess what they are not including with trimmers anymore in the US with most all makes and models of trimmers. A shoulder strap. As for me at 6' 1" they are too small if included.