Cub cadet LTX1046VT not charging

mgmine

Threads
I have a Briggs 23 hp on a Cub Cadet that isn't charging. I tested the battery and it was at 11.5 volts. I turned the engine on and tested it, still 11.5 volts at the battery. Next I disconnected the yellow wire at the voltage regulator(only one yellow wire) and tested the stator and it was putting out about 40 volts AC so I hooked it back up.

I tested the red wire that connects to the voltage regulator with the ignition on and got nothing from the battery, was expecting at least battery voltage.
I tested for continuity with the red wire to the first connector disconnected and have continuity.
I also get 12+ volts on the red wire on the connector side when it is disconnected at the connector, why now and not when it is connected?
I then disconnected the red wire at the regulator and tested the voltage coming out of the regulator and it was about 8 volts.
I replaced the regulator with an aftermarket one thinking it wasn't putting enough out. Retested everything and got almost the identical results with the new regulator. Still only putting out about 8 volts. Coincidence? What am I testing wrong? Thanks for any information. Model 446777
type 0763 B1
code 100504 G

Attachments

• voltage regulator.jpg
    voltage regulator.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 6
  • plug colors.jpg
    plug colors.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 4

Telesis

Threads
First, given you measured 40VAC, you have a 9 amp charging system, as opposed to a 5 amp charging system(you would have measured around 28VAC then). So, your stator is working as it should. To verify operation of the regulator/rectifier block, you test by measuring the output current. This will be anywhere between 3 and 9 amps depending on initial battery voltage. Note that the battery voltage must be 5 volts or greater or there will be no output.

The current is measured by setting your meter up for CURRENT measurement on the 10A scale, and connecting the red lead to the red wire coming from the reg/rec block. The black lead of the meter connects to the POSITIVE terminal of the battery. Don't connect the black meter lead to ground (or the negative terminal) as that would be a dead short of the output of the reg/rec and you'll likely blow the fuse in your meter. You should measure the 3-9amps.

If you do not, make sure the reg/rec block is well grounded. That's important. If you do measure that current, then that says the problem is between the reg/rec and the battery. Keep in mind there is a fuse somewhere in that red line that goes from the reg/rec to the battery. If your reg/rec is putting out the required current when connected directly to the battery then it sure sounds like that fuse is blown. This would also explain why you didn't measure any voltage at the red wire with the Ign On and also why replacing the reg/rec didn't fix the problem.

Look for the fuse!

mgmine

Threads
First, given you measured 40VAC, you have a 9 amp charging system, as opposed to a 5 amp charging system(you would have measured around 28VAC then). So, your stator is working as it should. To verify operation of the regulator/rectifier block, you test by measuring the output current. This will be anywhere between 3 and 9 amps depending on initial battery voltage. Note that the battery voltage must be 5 volts or greater or there will be no output.

The current is measured by setting your meter up for CURRENT measurement on the 10A scale, and connecting the red lead to the red wire coming from the reg/rec block. The black lead of the meter connects to the POSITIVE terminal of the battery. Don't connect the black meter lead to ground (or the negative terminal) as that would be a dead short of the output of the reg/rec and you'll likely blow the fuse in your meter. You should measure the 3-9amps.

Should the motor be running? I assume that the yellow wire to the voltage regulator should be connected and the red wire disconnected so that I can put the probe into the red wire on the regulator. Thank you.

cruzenmike

Threads
http://redirect.viglink.com/?format...drive.google.com/file/d/0B6N...A5TGltZEE/view

See section 7 in the document linked above. Follow the instructions for your specific charging system and you will be able to figure out if the voltage regulator is in fact bad. I had the same issue with my LTX1050. I was getting voltage but absolutely no current. I replaced the regulator and cleaned all the connections and problem solved.

Mike

mgmine

Threads
http://redirect.viglink.com/?format...drive.google.com/file/d/0B6N...A5TGltZEE/view

See section 7 in the document linked above. Follow the instructions for your specific charging system and you will be able to figure out if the voltage regulator is in fact bad. I had the same issue with my LTX1050. I was getting voltage but absolutely no current. I replaced the regulator and cleaned all the connections and problem solved.

Mike

Thanks good information. I put it into my favorites for future problems.

Telesis

Threads
Just to answer your questions (and as you'll see in the manual), yes the engine is to be running. And, you disconnect the red wire coming from the reg/rec at the connector shown in your pic. When measuring the current, touch the red meter lead to the end of the wire coming the reg/rec.

Leave the other red wire you just disconnected dangle(don't let it touch ground!)