PTO not re-engaging

ashend57

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a new CC Z Force L 54. When I pull the steering bars back the PTO shuts off the blades as it should, but when I go forward after that the blades do not start turning/cutting again. (My 2007 Z Force 50 starts back when I move forward.) The manual says it should start back when one or both of the lap bars are moved forward. I have to manually push down the electric PTO button & pull it back up every time to restart the blades.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
From page 17 of the z force L54 owners manual

The safety interlock system will shut off the PTO and the mower
blades will stop if both drive control levers are moved into the
reverse position. To restart the blades the PTO must be moved
to the “OFF” position and then back to the “ON” position

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yep, I would be removing those switches.

cruzenmike

Threads
Does your Z Force have the ignition with two positions and button that allows you to disable the PTO cutoff? If so, just follow the proper sequence to disable the PTO cutoff just before you engage the PTO for the first time and it will stay on when you go in reverse; that is unless you get up off the seat or engage the parking brake (if one). If it does not have this option, then I am sorry for giving you any hope of a resolution!

Mike

ashend57

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'll leave everything as is for now. I'm getting fairly good at keeping myself out of places where a zero turn will not keep me and the blades going.
On those rare occasions when reverse is absolutely necessary, I'm getting faster at clicking the PTO switch off and on. I'm thinking that even though I'm attempting to minimize the use of the OFF/ON switch, I will have to replace it at some point in the future. Oh well, I'll probably order a spare just to be ready.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm getting faster at clicking the PTO switch off and on. I'm thinking that even though I'm attempting to minimize the use of the OFF/ON switch, I will have to replace it at some point in the future. Oh well, I'll probably order a spare just to be ready.

That switch is the least of your worries. It will probably outlast the electric clutch, which probably costs 50 to 100x more than the switch.

ashend57

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, clutch is $380, Switch is $33. Thanks for the help.

cruzenmike

Threads
Yes, clutch is $380, Switch is $33. Thanks for the help.

What CPURVIS is trying to say is that the switch is not likely to wear out whereas the clutch will ultimately fail if it is constantly being disengaged and re-engaged. Have you reached out directly to Cub Cadet to determine if your unit is defective? If this is in fact the proper operation of your unit, you should consider talking to your retailer or dealer about a different mower. I cannot for the life of me figure out why a zero turn would have such a feature when it takes away from the basic function of the mower; to cut!

csmlet

Threads
What CPURVIS is trying to say is that the switch is not likely to wear out whereas the clutch will ultimately fail if it is constantly being disengaged and re-engaged. Have you reached out directly to Cub Cadet to determine if your unit is defective? If this is in fact the proper operation of your unit, you should consider talking to your retailer or dealer about a different mower. I cannot for the life of me figure out why a zero turn would have such a feature when it takes away from the basic function of the mower; to cut!

One word, well actually four. OSHA