PTO not re-engaging

cruzenmike

Threads
[/B]

One word, well actually four. OSHA

Please site the OSHA standard pertaining to blade shutoff when going in reverse. And then please list the actual commercial mowers that have this feature. Thank you!

Mike

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
This is as close as I could find real quick

The lawn mower industry adopted a voluntary safety
standard in 2003 (ANSI/OPEI B71.1-2003, revised to
ANSI B71.1-2012). This standard requires a “no-mowin-
reverse” mechanism on all new mowers. However,
manufacturers are permitted to install equipment that
overrides this safety feature temporarily

cruzenmike

Threads
This is as close as I could find real quick

The lawn mower industry adopted a voluntary safety
standard in 2003 (ANSI/OPEI B71.1-2003, revised to
ANSI B71.1-2012). This standard requires a “no-mowin-
reverse” mechanism on all new mowers. However,
manufacturers are permitted to install equipment that
overrides this safety feature temporarily

There is a HUGE difference between the "industry" adopting a standard created by ANSI and OSHA adopting that same standard. People simply shouldn't cite OSHA standards when they don't know where and how they apply!

I am all for safety, but accidents and injuires stem from unsafe acts or unsafe conditions, both of which are preventable. Having a safety feature that can be bypassed does not help to maintain a safe condition. A person not paying attention to what they are doing is clearly an unsafe act. It is for these reasons that I go back to my original comment. A PTO that disengages when in reverse, that can and will be bypassed by most, is not going to keep someone from getting hurt. Adding seatbelts to cars didn't save any lives . . .

csmlet

Threads
There is a HUGE difference between the "industry" adopting a standard created by ANSI and OSHA adopting that same standard. People simply shouldn't cite OSHA standards when they don't know where and how they apply!

I am all for safety, but accidents and injuires stem from unsafe acts or unsafe conditions, both of which are preventable. Having a safety feature that can be bypassed does not help to maintain a safe condition. A person not paying attention to what they are doing is clearly an unsafe act. It is for these reasons that I go back to my original comment. A PTO that disengages when in reverse, that can and will be bypassed by most, is not going to keep someone from getting hurt. Adding seatbelts to cars didn't save any lives . . .

I completely agree, When I posted the comment about OSHA I didn't mean to start a discussion on their merits, was just try to say the mower industry as well as all other industries will do all they can to try to prevent lawsuits. Frivolous or otherwise. I worked for the US government for a number of years and have stood a lot of OSHA inspections and still don't understand their rules and regulations.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The confusion is that OSHA and ANSI go hand in hand, and most of the OSHA regs are based on ANSI.

cruzenmike

Threads
The confusion is that OSHA and ANSI go hand in hand, and most of the OSHA regs are based on ANSI.

That is correct. Consensus standards, including those created by ANSI, help OSHA in determining the actual "laws" by which companies are governed; OSHA may choose to adopt ANSI standards verbatim. With that being said, OSHA has no jurisdiction over the use of consumer goods, rather they are here to protect the workers, in this case, the lawn care worker. The Consumer Product Safety Commission handles matters (cases) related to consumer safety. Yes, in order to avoid liability, companies will include safety devices on consumer goods, many of which can still be operated safety without those safety devices, yet are necessary to achieve a higher level of safety (which requires then less diligence on behalf of the consumer). Working in Occupational Safety for a living, my biggest issue that I have is taking the responsibility away from the individual doing the work. This isn't to say that we are better off without safety devices, it's just that people should be safety minded as well. I surely meant no offense, but I see the world in the eyes of someone who has been personally affected by someone injured on the job, I work in the industry, and I do as many things as I can in life thinking safety first. Nobody every deserves to be injured, that's for sure!