Hi Vac motor swap???

Wolfwood

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm trying to get a little information. Last year I bought a used snapper hi vac mower. The engine says its a 5.5 b&s signature series. I don't know anything about cutting grass (spent most of my life in Florida enjoying a small sandy yard with some sporadic weeds) but I believe my engine is getting tired. It doesn't look new, and when I cut my yard I have yo go slow or else it gets so bogged down that it'll die. We're not talking knee high weeds here, just a week or two of growth and it'll struggle through it. This past weekend my self propelled feature went out. I took it apart and discovered a bad bearing and my rubber drive wheel (?) was worn down against the drive disk (?) so no big deal, just order a couple parts. But while I was down there it got me thinking, maybe she could use a motor swap. So I started doing a little research. I do not know what the diameter and length of the output shaft is. I would prefer for a direct match up so I can unbolt my drive belt pulley and blade adapter from the old engine and transfer them to the new. Will this engine work? Thoughts? Opinions? I can't seem to upload the picture if the mower via my phone. Will try again tonight after work.

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/121Q42-0016.html

cashman

Threads
The length and diameter of the crankshaft output will determine if you can use it. The Snapper used a longish crankshaft and some of those had a 1/4" (.250") keyway the full length of the output for the self-propelled pulley. Measure the length and diameter (the dia. is probably 1.00") of the crankshaft on your current engine and see if it matches the engine you want to buy.