275 hour cheetah price check

Asymair95

Threads
I'm in the market for a new mower. I have 6 acres of lightly wooded grounds with flower beds, shrubs, and trees to mow around. There are some hilly areas also.

A local John Deere dealer has a 2014 cheetah with 275 hours on it for $7900. It has the Kohler ecv940 fuel inj engine and 61" deck. It looks almost factory new from what I can tell. Drove it around and really liked the ride. I have some back injuries so I need the smoothest ride I can get.

Priced a new one at the local scag dealer and he wants $10999.00 for the same thing with the smaller engine.

Story the dealer gave me was he traded it in because he didn't like the cut in wet grass. So he upgraded to a JD and 7 iron deck. I drove one of them around too, but the ride was too rough for me.

I'm currently using a 1995 Dixon 560 commercial with a 60" deck and 20hp Kohler Magnum. I saved her from the scrap dealer and have been using it for a few years now. It mows great, but the ride literally sends me to the emergency room...no exaggeration.

Would like some insight on what kind of issues I should look out for on the cheetah and if his price is acceptable. I did read the older Kohler 940 engines were prone to overheating.

Will try and attach some pics of my Dixon.
Thank you for any help you can give me.

IMG_1336.jpg

IMG_1338.jpg

JjEjFjF

Threads
I'm in the market for a new mower. I have 6 acres of lightly wooded grounds with flower beds, shrubs, and trees to mow around. There are some hilly areas also.

A local John Deere dealer has a 2014 cheetah with 275 hours on it for $7900. It has the Kohler ecv940 fuel inj engine and 61" deck. It looks almost factory new from what I can tell. Drove it around and really liked the ride. I have some back injuries so I need the smoothest ride I can get.

Priced a new one at the local scag dealer and he wants $10999.00 for the same thing with the smaller engine.

Story the dealer gave me was he traded it in because he didn't like the cut in wet grass. So he upgraded to a JD and 7 iron deck. I drove one of them around too, but the ride was too rough for me.

I'm currently using a 1995 Dixon 560 commercial with a 60" deck and 20hp Kohler Magnum. I saved her from the scrap dealer and have been using it for a few years now. It mows great, but the ride literally sends me to the emergency room...no exaggeration.

Would like some insight on what kind of issues I should look out for on the cheetah and if his price is acceptable. I did read the older Kohler 940 engines were prone to overheating.

Will try and attach some pics of my Dixon.
Thank you for any help you can give me.

View attachment 32453

View attachment 32454

Do yourself a favor and buy a new one. You never know what youll get with used.$8000 is an awful lot of money to pay for a potential lemon. That story about the wet grass is crazy. Go to youtube and watch some videos of cheetahs cutting wet grass. They do an amazing job.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bear in mind that the machine and engine warranties are NOT transferable from the original buyer.

Asymair95

Threads
OK, thank you guys. Will look harder at a new one. The Mrs. Is having a hard time with the 11k price tag though. Wish they weren't so cotton pickin expensive.

JjEjFjF

Threads
OK, thank you guys. Will look harder at a new one. The Mrs. Is having a hard time with the 11k price tag though. Wish they weren't so cotton pickin expensive.

She'll get over it.

Sweats

Threads
If the price of a new Cheetah is hard to stomach, you might look at a Tiger Cat II. It sports a different suspension than that of the Cheetah but it's a very smooth ride nonetheless. I picked one up recently with a Kohler ECV860 and a 61" deck for $9400 after tax. Mine has a little over 30 hours on it after roughly four weeks and it's been an absolute dream (even on my bone-rattling ground). It's a beast in wet grass too. So sure, I'm biased; you just might take a look at one though.

Asymair95

Threads
Thank you again for the advice. I went back to the dealer and drove a tiger cat, and it does ride very nice. I then drove a turf tiger...which was a mistake, because now I want one. The steering was very smooth and had the best ride yet, even better than the Cheetah in my opinion.

Can I get some thoughts on a price please. He is asking $12,400 for the turf tiger with a Briggs 35hp vanguard, and 61" deck. There is another one there with a 740cc Kawasaki on it for slightly less. I've read good things about the Briggs though. It seems kind of high to me.

I called some other dealers and they are on average $400 less, so right at 12k. They all advised me to buy local though, and won't deliver as I am out of their service area. Any help/advice would be appreciated. Thanks again.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
The thought of paying $1100 in sales tax where I live would be enough for me to look for a used one. Or an out-of-state source.

Sweats

Threads
So I have to wonder how the Mrs feels about the price of the Turf Tiger. I know MY Mrs' first reaction when we pulled up to the Scag dealer was "A ROLL BAR? Are you serious?!!" It was an uphill battle from there. Good luck.

Asymair95

Threads
So I called the guy back and he said he would come down to 12k plus a $100 delivery fee. Total is $13,078 out the door, which is still insane for a lawn mower.

He does have a cheetah for 11k, and a tiger cat for 9.5k both with 61" decks.