alternator not working

Threads
my 1980 111's alternator is not working it puts out 12.4 volts while running and that's not enough. i have a wiring diagram but it doesn't tell me how to check the charging system or where the diode is. help...

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And without knowing what engine you have neither do we.

Threads
it was a 11hp briggs and was repowered to a 12.5 hp briggs:smile:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bert is politely trying to tell you we are not standing in your yard, looking at your unit, while drinking one of your cold beers. We are located all over the world and if you want our help you must paint us a very detailed picture of what you are looking at. We work on hundreds of different units and engines, but can't see what you have. We need your units model and serial numbers, and the engine's model, type and code numbers in order to help you. Bert, I hope I didn't misspeak when I said drinking a beer.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bert is politely trying to tell you we are not standing in your yard, looking at your unit, while drinking one of your cold beers. We are located all over the world and if you want our help you must paint us a very detailed picture of what you are looking at. We work on hundreds of different units and engines, but can't see what you have. We need your units model and serial numbers, and the engine's model, type and code numbers in order to help you. Bert, I hope I didn't misspeak when I said drinking a beer.

Well I would rather a nice shriaz at the proper cellar temperature but a beer will do just so long as it is some one elses we are drinking.
Although I never drink during working hours, too many mower mechanics missing a digit or two.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
We weren't working, just standing in the yard looking at it.

Threads
it is a 1980 john deere 111 it has a 12.5 hp flat head motor on it. while it is running at 3/4 throttle it charges at 12.4 volts. i cannot tell how it does without getting off the seat because the only thing that draws electricity is the electric clutch because it has a magneto ign. and once the battery is charged from starting it really has no draw unless i engage the electric clutch then it should go up in voltage to at least 13 volts but it doesn't go any higher than 12.4. i do not drink beer,if you want to that's fine. but it would explain why your stuff breaks down all the time. less time standing around drinking and more time doing preventive maintenance.:laughing:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is a problem with the Spagforth Mk IV smokmaker engine.
The electricity smoke is plumbed directly into the exhaust smoke as the engineers thought if the smoke was not allowed to escape from the wires it would prevent the battery ever going flat.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Bert, Rivets ......... You guys need to team up , I nearly split my staples open laughing so hard after reading your comments here !!!

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
it is a 1980 john deere 111 it has a 12.5 hp flat head motor on it. while it is running at 3/4 throttle it charges at 12.4 volts. i cannot tell how it does without getting off the seat because the only thing that draws electricity is the electric clutch because it has a magneto ign. and once the battery is charged from starting it really has no draw unless i engage the electric clutch then it should go up in voltage to at least 13 volts but it doesn't go any higher than 12.4. i do not drink beer,if you want to that's fine. but it would explain why your stuff breaks down all the time. less time standing around drinking and more time doing preventive maintenance.:laughing:

12.5 flathead ... WHAT ?? .....
they need the type & code numbers
See example ...PRODUCT INFO.JPG

Don't really need the family of the engine ...Remember ........ these fella's are TRYING to help YOU !!!
getting sarcastic about the situation will most likely have you to look for help elsewhere !!