What parts should I expect to replace to get mower running?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / What parts should I expect to replace to get mower running?
Larry...
A few of us guys here are friends with this "Kangaroo-Kicker" ..( from Australia..down under)..He's sort of like a GURU to some of us and we hold him in high esteem & deep respect ... Bertsmobile1 is always there helping ...Boobala

Also.. go to top of THIS page ..
click on Albums (in the light gray bar under the FIRST green bar)
click on album gallery ... enter in the search bar .. my project ....check it out ... Boobala

Enough Boo.
I am just a bloke who tries to make a living fixing mowers and lurks here to gain the knowledge that years of experience have taught others.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks. Here's my engine info. It's a craftsman v-twin. The mower also came with the shute and clippings collection system that attaches to the back end. It has three large plastic bins for clippings. 21hp.

Oh, having trouble removing one of the blade retention nuts. Put heat to it, no luck. It's now soaking in wd40. Is one of them reverse threaded.

Untitled by Larry Johnson, on Flickr

If it has a side chute with a tube running up to the bagger then std right hand threads.
If it is a rear discharge with the chute running under the seat from between the two blades then one side had a left hand thread.

The bolts tighten in use and it is SOP to grind them off.
Once the head is gone thus relieving the clamping force on the threads they usually undo with your fingers ( inside gloves of course because it will be sharp )

LarryJohnson

Threads
.PATIENCE & using an "impact" wrench is the best way to remove ...
send me your e-mail address in a PM ... and I will send You an owners guide ( pdf-manual )
Murray NEVER made any service manuals that I've heard about ...Owners guide has limited info & parts lists but its all you really need ..... IF you look at the pics in my albums you can see these mowers are pretty simple and easy to work on ...

Oh yeah GREAT pic you posted !!! I forgot to say ..TAKE TONS of pics of whatever you work on ..REMEMBER :
these pics become YOUR manual and reference material.. it has saved me hundreds of hours in research and countless headaches ..you can always delete ... but if you dont have the info you face what you are going through RIGHT NOW !!!

If it has a side chute with a tube running up to the bagger then std right hand threads.
The bolts tighten in use and it is SOP to grind them off.

Boo, My goal is to get the mower running and functioning, that's it. I don't plan on making this a "project" or doing mods, so I won't be spending hundreds of hours working on it. I've got basic tools. I was using a cordless impact driver and breaker bar. May have to grind it off as Bert suggests. I own a grinder.
Thanks for offering to send the owner's manual, but I already have one. I'm old and understand the value of consulting such info.
The pic I posted was taken with my iPhone. If you want to see some of my better photos, go to the image that I posted and click on my name and it will take you to my Flickr page. Wildlife photography is my hobby.
I'm not "going through" anything right now other than just getting started evaluating this mower. My problem isn't lack of info, it's lack of experience.

Bert, It's a side chute. I've got a grinder, so may resort to it as suggested.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Got it Larry... If & when ya need help, ... just holler !

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Boo, My goal is to get the mower running and functioning, that's it. I don't plan on making this a "project" or doing mods, so I won't be spending hundreds of hours working on it. I've got basic tools. I was using a cordless impact driver and breaker bar. May have to grind it off as Bert suggests. I own a grinder.
Thanks for offering to send the owner's manual, but I already have one. I'm old and understand the value of consulting such info.
The pic I posted was taken with my iPhone. If you want to see some of my better photos, go to the image that I posted and click on my name and it will take you to my Flickr page. Wildlife photography is my hobby.
I'm not "going through" anything right now other than just getting started evaluating this mower. My problem isn't lack of info, it's lack of experience.

Bert, It's a side chute. I've got a grinder, so may resort to it as suggested.

Yep they tighten in use.
I have a 1/2" 3/4" & 1" air impact gun and there are still some I just have to cut off.
Hell them buggers can get tight
The 1" has to be secured because I am not strong enough to hold against it and still they don't come loose.
On site I have a 2' 4' & 10' length of rectangle steel tube I use to lock the blades and a 1" drive socket with a couple of breaker bars that can go 6' and again the same problem, they can get real tight.
The only ones that did not undo with my fingers once the heads were off were the World Lawn mowers and I no longer service any Word Lawn product as the owners bought them because they are the absolutely lwers price ZTR on the market and seem to think the servicing price should reflect the purchase price.

LarryJohnson

Threads
Yep they tighten in use.
I have a 1/2" 3/4" & 1" air impact gun and there are still some I just have to cut off.
Hell them buggers can get tight
The 1" has to be secured because I am not strong enough to hold against it and still they don't come loose.
On site I have a 2' 4' & 10' length of rectangle steel tube I use to lock the blades and a 1" drive socket with a couple of breaker bars that can go 6' and again the same problem, they can get real tight.
The only ones that did not undo with my fingers once the heads were off were the World Lawn mowers and I no longer service any Word Lawn product as the owners bought them because they are the absolutely lwers price ZTR on the market and seem to think the servicing price should reflect the purchase price.

The last nut came off easy after a couple of raps with a BFH. I'd like to treat the underside of the deck with something to prevent any further rusting. Any recommendations. I recall using a product many years ago that was supposed to do just that; it turned the rust black and prevented further rusting. I don't recall it's name.

Just to update everyone on my progress, here's what I've done so far. Changed the oil and filter, new plugs, removed, emptied and wiped out gas tank, new fuel filter, removed carb with manifolds(?), removed carb bowl and cleaned with carb cleaner, removed air breather housing and sprayed cleaner in choke area. Will pick up a new battery today.
As soon as the new key arrives in the mail, I'll give it a try.

LarryJohnson

Threads
Hey there Larry ...
BFH ... YOU had to be in military too!! Bet ya got an LFSD in that toolbox also ... ( LOL )

I think the product you are in question about is .. POR-15

www.por15.com

I used this on my 46" deck I'm happy with it after 2+ yrs.

https://www.pettitpaint.com/fileshare/product_pds/Rustlok.pdf

Thanks for the link. That product doesn't look familiar. I recall a one-step process, just spray it on.
I wasn't in the military, just heard that acronym somewhere. Don't know LFSD.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I wasn't in the military either but I know what a BFH is. As far as LFSD, I'm going to guess "long....screwdriver."

Use a smoke wrench when all else fails.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I wasn't in the military either but I know what a BFH is. As far as LFSD, I'm going to guess "long....screwdriver."

Use a smoke wrench when all else fails.

AHhhh yes ... smoke-wrench,= Torch ...?? ...also called flame wrench !

I have to be careful ... I don't want this thread to go off-track as like we got carried away in the
MTD Forum thread .... ( MTD YardMan Transaxle Rebuild ) THAT thread is on-going since LAST Oct. ....(our-Man-Cave ) ( LOL )