Timemaster blade belt wear

BoydK

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2016 Timemaster. The original v-belt that drives the blade lasted almost a year before it started to slip. I took the cover off and the belt looked glazed and a little worn (not cracks but width was worn) so i replaced it. I let a friend use it on a large suburban lot with tall grass and ...that belt now needs replacing about 3-4 months later. (I'm assuming that's whats wrong from his description of "the blade never seems to get up to speed"). When I replaced it last time I noticed that the tensioner, ie the pulley that the blade engaging (operator position) lever moves up to tighten that belt and start the blade has a little black plastic/nylon wedge that rests on the keyed belt (the long belt that connects the two blades and that the v belt drives) when the tensioner isn't engaging the vbelt.
1- Is that normal? I'm sure the plastic is slippery but it seems like that will wear the back side of that keyed belt.
2- How long should one of these vbelts run? A year doesn't seem like a long time, and even though it was used on tall grass (dry, which isn't the norm here in the north west) 2-3 months is way less.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This unit should still be under warranty, get to your dealer for inspection and service. I have not seen any units with this type of problem and many are used commercially.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In the field you change a blade by jambing a length of hardwood between the blade & the deck to prevent it from turning.
A lot of grass does exactly the same thing then the belt slips and if jambed hard enough burns.
Problem is mowing too much too fast and the volume of grass is greater than the discharge chute can pass.
People seem to think just because it is a big heavy mower it can cut 2' of grass to golf course quality in a single pass at full speed.
If the engine is running at full speed and the blades are not then the belt is slipping and you need to clear the chute and mow slower.
If he was mulching then the problem is 5 times as bad because of the extra load on the mower.

This is why belts are not covered by warranty

BoydK

Forum Newbie
Threads
Problem is mowing too much too fast and the volume of grass is greater than the discharge chute can pass.
That makes a lot of sense to me and I suspect exactly what happened. I'll change the vbelt and have a talk with him about 1- grass getting tall and 2- pushing to fast, thanks.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
During the first year I have gotten many belts covered under warranty. Not always, but at least the customer will know the cause of the problem.