Lawn Boy 10324 throttle lever

javjacob

Threads
My brother got a 2003 Lawn Boy 10324 which is a silver pro duraforce. The problem is on the throttle lever slow is fast and fast is slow. What causes this and how do we fix it?

jp1961

Threads
Only thing I could think of is the governor spring is installed incorrectly (is it possible it's upside down?). The end of the governor spring has a J shaped bend at the end, you have to make sure the long portion of the J fits through the plastic square hole in the throttle slide.

Regards

Jeff

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Does it have the original throttle lever ?
Universal ones can be installed either to pull or to push.
A lot of assemblies can be installed either way round
A lot of assemblies can be pulled apart an rebuilt upside down
Some are made to go on either side so can be fitted upside down.

jp1961

Threads
Another item to check is the primer line. It routes very close to the governor spring and can interfere with the operation of the spring.

Jeff

javjacob

Threads
It appears to be the original lever/cable but I wouldn't know since he bought it this way yesterday. I am wondering if there isn't 2 styles and one is opposite of the other and it was replaced with the wrong one? Maybe the throttle lever/cable Lawn Boy used on these was some universal part?

jp1961

Threads
All Duraforce L.B.'s had the throttle cable on the left side of the handle (as viewed from the operating position). It should look like the throttle lever below. If you move the level to slow, then advance it there is a plastic detent that will click (almost sounds like the plastic just broke, but it hasn't), past the click is choke on.

Just use the choke (full forward) for starting,,,if you push the lever all the way forward it will slow down as the choke is on.

Regards

Jeff

Attachments

• DSC00097 (37).jpg
    DSC00097 (37).jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 21

javjacob

Threads
All Duraforce L.B.'s had the throttle cable on the left side of the handle (as viewed from the operating position). It should look like the throttle lever below. If you move the level to slow, then advance it there is a plastic detent that will click (almost sounds like the plastic just broke, but it hasn't), past the click is choke on.

Just use the choke (full forward) for starting,,,if you push the lever all the way forward it will slow down as the choke is on.

Regards

Jeff

Yes that is how my 10323 is but my brothers 10324 is backwards. It revs higher when you move the lever back to slow/turtle. Opposite of what it should be.

johneeguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've got a Lawnboy 10516 with the exact same "issue"

Bought it used a few years back, and noticed that the throttle position is backwards... looks to be original cable/lever assembly... mower also bogs down in thick grass to where it will almost stall... wondering if the reply below related to the governor spring has something to do with my problem..

Will investigate further knowing someone else has this issue.

Any updates to pass along?

THanks

My brother got a 2003 Lawn Boy 10324 which is a silver pro duraforce. The problem is on the throttle lever slow is fast and fast is slow. What causes this and how do we fix it?

bmccollum

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've got a similar issue with my Lawn Boy # 10324. Something made a pop or click sound about 2 weeks ago when I was pulling the throttle lever towards me to slow the engine down as I prepared to empty out the grass collection bag, and the engine didn't slow down... engine stayed running at full speed. I took off the throttle control lever to see if the wire/cable itself had broken, but it hadn't. The cable had just slipped out of the little hold in the lever handle assemble inside the throttle control lever. I put the end of the wire/cable back into the hole and reassembled and re-mounted the throttle control lever on the side of the mower's handle.

So now, the choke position is still where it's always been with the level pushed all the way down away from me towards the engine where the lever is basically flat. Now, where you typically pull the lever back towards you just a little bit out of the "choke" position to where it's typically at a fast engine speed, the engine speed is now slow. As you continue to pull the lever back towards you where the engine should slow down, the engine speed gets faster. When you pull the lever entirely back towards you to where the engine speed is typically a very slow idle, it's almost like it's back in a "choke" position with extra smoke that's output from the muffler and the engine dies.

I don't really see many variations as to how the throttle wire/cable can be threaded back into the throttle lever assembly. To me it looks like it can only be threaded back in there the way I've got it threaded in there.

When I took the throttle lever off the first time after the pop/click I described earlier in this post occurred, a little black plastic piece fell out of the throttle lever assembly. I wonder if this little black plastic piece is related to the clicking sound that you usually hear as you move the throttle lever? It used to make a distinct/solid "click" sound especially when you moved the lever between choke/fast, but the lever, when moving it, is very quiet now.

Any thoughts/recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!