14 hp Briggs: Surging - - I've tried almost everything..... Please help.....

Sdmcarlson

Threads
  • / 14 hp Briggs: Surging - - I've tried almost everything..... Please help.....
I got this John Deere Mower off C.L. and I cannot for the life of me get it running properly. When I got it running, it went to incredibly high RPM's. Now, It surges at all rpms, tries to backfire and surge when I hold the governor arm to slow it down, revs at incredibly high RPM's if I allow it... It seems I have to fill the gas tank to keep fuel in the carb bowl. Carb solenoid is working and float is not stuck.

It is not the orig. 17hp engine it came with but everything I am doing has to do with this engine model number and not the deere.

John Deere: L110 Briggs and stratton 14 hp: 287707-1259-E1 code: 001025ZE

O.k., I've changed carbs 3 times (inc. cleaning old one), I've set the valves, changed the fuel, replaced the spark plug, changed the head gasket, push rods not bent, changed the fuel filter, There are no vacuum leaks, plastic intake is not damaged in any way, compression seems good, set the governor appropriately, timing key is in place, set magneto gap, Bent tang on governor spring in and out. . . I've put 10-15 hours on this engine and cannot find the trouble.

Thank you

Scott - - Colbert WA

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / 14 hp Briggs: Surging - - I've tried almost everything..... Please help.....
The original Kohler engine that was on that mower was equipped with a fuel pump. that could be the issue with the fuel tank needing to be full, if the current engine doesn't have a fuel pump, and could also possibly explain some of the run issues. The governor issue could be related to the fuel issue, or could be something separate like the static adjustment not done correctly, or the governor gear inside the engine is faulty.

Tinkerer200

Threads
ILENGINE , How the heck do you manage to be the first to answer virtually all questions on the forum and still get any actually any work done on engines? One of these days when I go thru Beecher City I am going to stop in and see how you do that.

OP - I can send you a Service Manual which may help you IF you like. Address below, put in proper format and remind me engine model number and what you want. You did set the static governor adjustment by loosening the governor arm clamp holding it to the governor shaft coming out the side of the engine, moving the throttle to wide open position holding it there while moving the governor shaft in the same direction as opening the throttle to WOT as far as it will go then re-tightening the clamp. IF internal governor is working, you should feel strong resistance when trying to over rid the governor with engine running.

Walt Conner, Robinson, Illinois
wconner5 at frontier dot com

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Walt I just bounce in and out of here. May look at a few threads while looking up parts to order

Sdmcarlson

Threads
... and ILENGINE - - THANK YOU for doing so . . . I almost bought a used replacement engine without realizing I need one with a fuel pump.

I'd drive through and thank you for all your help

Scott

Tinkerer200

Threads
People install fuel pumps on those, different threads on doing that. However, seems fuel pump engines have s smaller carb float inlet valve seat than gravity feed engines and may cause trouble. I never had a problem with that.

Walt Conner