Need Help with a John Deere GS-25

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Re: Third Progress Report

I was going to test compression on the 12.5 HP Kawasaki before trying to actually start it, now that it has spark, but I couldn't wait. I stuck the old original NGK spark plug back in it, squirted some gas into the carb (the gas tank is not currently connected to the fuel pump) and pulled the recoil starter. The Kawa fired on the third try! Whoopie! I didn't try it again because the engine oil is old, so I drained that out and removed the old oil filter and then came in the house to research all the replacement parts I'll need now that I know the engine will run.

New NGK Spark Plug - BPR5ES. Almost 2 qts of SAE 10W-30 SF, SE, or SD oil. I found dozens of compatible oil filters to the JD AM107423 original. A new JD or Kawasaki air filter with foam pre-filter and some sort of fuel filter to replace the JD fuel filter kit AM116178.

Once all that is taken care off I'll really try to get it running... I was thinking of washing out the crankcase before refilling it with new oil.. Any suggestions??

Roger

Well Rog , Back in the day we used to use auto trans fluid to " WASH-DOWN " the internals ... it's a very fine oil , like machine grade , (especially good for keeping Hydraulic lifters clean in auto engines ), I would put 2+ qts in YOUR eng . (even slightly over filling it ) remove the spark-plug , and work out on that recoil for a while, remove the drain plug and let it drain for a few hours , then put in proper amt. of cheap 30 wt. oil , ( Why waste expensive grade until you're sure engine is running ) if engine starts & runs I would run it on & off while checking for leaks and general operation , you know the drill... I would let it run on the cheap oil till I was sure its running in good order , then change the oil to that of your preference , I will recommend adding LUCAS
oil conditioner , about 40% of oil capacity but thats your call . Also it's been sittin quite awhile , I would think the fuel system will more than likely need a few things worked on before you get this thing purring like a kitten . ..:2cents:

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: Third Progress Report

Well Rog , Back in the day we used to use auto trans fluid to " WASH-DOWN " the internals ... it's a very fine oil , like machine grade , (especially good for keeping Hydraulic lifters clean in auto engines ), I would put 2+ qts in YOUR eng . (even slightly over filling it ) remove the spark-plug , and work out on that recoil for a while, remove the drain plug and let it drain for a few hours , then put in proper amt. of cheap 30 wt. oil , ( Why waste expensive grade until you're sure engine is running ) if engine starts & runs I would run it on & off while checking for leaks and general operation , you know the drill... I would let it run on the cheap oil till I was sure its running in good order , then change the oil to that of your preference , I will recommend adding LUCAS
oil conditioner , about 40% of oil capacity but thats your call . Also it's been sittin quite awhile , I would think the fuel system will more than likely need a few things worked on before you get this thing purring like a kitten . ..:2cents:

Thanks Boo, that's good advice. I'll try the tranny fluid as a crankcase cleaner and I do just as you say, start out with WalMart's "best" oil until all systems have proven themselves..

Rog

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Fourth Progress Report

Since I last posted here, I have replaced the old spark plug with a new NGK, installed a new oil filter and refilled the crank case with new oil. Replaced the fuel line between the fuel tank and the fuel pump and added a new fuel filter, tore the carburetor apart and cleaned and reassembled it, determined that the fuel pump was actually working, discovered the ground that was preventing a spark was coming through a relay (which is currently removed until I get to work tracing down the ground) put some clean fuel in the tank (which I can cleaned out) and now the Kawasaki runs like a champ!

Then I got distracted by two Troy-Bilt roto-tillers I got for Free!! I now have one of the running properly (I repowered it with a Predator engine from Harbor Freight) and finally got the pulleys aligned. The second one needed additional cleaning as I found the gunk in the gear case was almost as old as I am!! (It dripped out like molasses in January!) I'm going to pick up another Predator engine and repower it as well.

Then, I'll get back to the running gear on the JD as well as the mower..

More later,

Roger