Need Help with a John Deere GS-25

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just picked up a non-operating John Deere GS-25, which is listed as: 12.5 HP COM MOW. S/N MO4410X010699

It has a 12.5 HP Kawasaki engine: Code FC401V-BS05 ... E/NO FC401VA11310

It also has a SPICER transaxle: MOD 4360 101 ... S/N 007865 ... 04/19/96

It comes with a 36" double (overlapping) blade mower with the blades timed via a toothed timing belt. As it has been sitting outside in Maine weather for a number of years and when I opened up the mower deck cover I found a pail full of chewed up acorns and pinecones.

The deck is now removed (as are the acorns and pinecones) and I am working on the machine itself. The engine is free, but I'm not getting any spark. The key switch was rusted solid, but I finally got it to work with Kroil and WD-40. I 'think' there is a 'kill-switch' next to the key that was also frozen, that I have freed up, but I do not yet know if the electrical contacts in either of these switches are working properly. If not, then obviously that would prevent the ignition from firing. I don't know if there are any additional safety switches involved with the ignition either.

Both brake bands are frozen solid and I cannot turn either wheel, (yet!) but the parking brake is not on. I'm wondering if there is a safety switch that requires the parking brake to be on before the engine will start. All brake linkages and parts as soaking in Kroil, so I expect them to operate fairly soon.

Can anyone tell me where to find an operators manual and wiring diagram?

This is a nice rugged commercial mower and I'm looking forward to getting it operational.

Thanks for any help..

Roger B

P.S. Sorry, but I don't know how to rotate photos once they are downloaded to the thread. I had them correct in my photo folder, but they reverted to sideways shots when I downloaded them..

Attachments

• DSCN1948_825.jpg
    DSCN1948_825.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCN1949_826.jpg
    DSCN1949_826.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCN1950_827.jpg
    DSCN1950_827.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCN1951_828.jpg
    DSCN1951_828.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCN1952_829.jpg
    DSCN1952_829.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 4

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Progress Report:

First problem: No spark. However, Boobala has supplied me with a JD GS-25 Manual as well as a Kawasaki FC401V manual, so I can now properly troubleshoot this issue as well as any others that are bound to surface as this project unfolds.. I just have to get to it..

I have freed up both wheels. I found the actual problem was the belts. They had adhered themselves in to their respective pulleys, removing the idler pulleys and prying the belts out of the drive pulleys allowed the wheels to turn freely. The transmission drive shaft also turns, at least in neutral.

I'm surprised at how well things come apart on this machine considering how many years it simply sat outside in the weather.

I found the throttle cable was broken off inside it's sheath down at the carburetor end. As it was still quite long, I was able to recut the sheath and remove several inches of it, exposing the cable inside. Now all I have to do is re-bend the end into an "Z" shape so that it can be fitted to the throttle control lever.

So, progress is being made, albeit slowly... Almost as slow as the replies to this post..

Roger

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Jus cruzin around ...got nosey ... so here I am .... S---L---O---W ... moving ehh Goomba ??? Hmmmm.. I wonder if anybody on this forum knows of your MTD Forum ...?????
Hopefully, ... someone will produce a Parts Manual for your GS-25 ... We'll see...???? ..:anyone:

Last edited:

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hopefully, ... someone will produce a Parts Manual for your GS-25 ... We'll see...???? ..:anyone:

Boo,

I'm not going to hold my breath, but what you've sent me has helped a good deal..

Rog

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Boo,

I'm not going to hold my breath, but what you've sent me has helped a good deal..

Rog

What you REALLY need is the SHOP Repair Manual ... I will give credit where due !! was lookin at a JD manual online
( somewhere ?? ) and as Bert says ... they are GREAT !! well worth the cost ! BUT you better shop for price ...!!
the manual from JD is $80.00 for printed book form or $45.00 for c-d ... but..you can get get a version on-line
cheaper ... YOU KNOW what I'd do ..!!! And of course that depends on whether you are going to keep it or try to repair to sell !! In case you don't know my feelings towards JD ...go read my post on the MTD forum . Rog I tried just about all the lil secrets I know to get these manuals for ya .. but it appears JD has them locked-up tighter than a tick's butt !! MAYBE there are some folks on this JD forum that can help ya out ..???

....JD PUBS GS 25.JPG....MANUAL J D.JPG

JoeM(GA)

Threads
parts manual can be viewed at www.jdparts.com, I agree you need the tech manual, it just happens to be one I don't have

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
parts manual can be viewed at www.jdparts.com, I agree you need the tech manual, it just happens to be one I don't have

Hey there Joe .. You just made Roger a happy camper .. I visited the parts site with your link . I tried to open the parts section of
JD several times but kept being blocked out ... yours let me in .. so that means he can .. I think I was having a problem until I turned off
part of my Internet Security systems ... I thought of sending you a PM ... but I had seen where you must have answered a huge amount of
requests for a different JD manual over a long period of time !! and figured you might be tired of being a GO-TO guy ..anyway.. sure wish someone had the Service Manual ... but such is life ... well Joe I guarantee you Rog is most thankful for you assistance ...and visit the thread to keep us in-line ..( LOL ) ..:thumbsup: .... Boobala

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

Hey Joe,

Thanks for the JD manual site.. Between you and Boo-Boo, I now have access to what must amount to nearly every manual every printed for a GS-25 as well as the Kawasaki engine. We'll whip this bad boy if it takes all summer! (You don't know where to find parts cheap do you? I noted that the coil is a $90 item and I suspect that may be the cause of the no-spark problem.)

Thanks again!

Hey if you have any spare time on your hands, drop around to the MTD forum and check out our Transaxle Rebuild thread... We need guys who will actually 'talk' with us..

Roger

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Second Progress Report

Using Information provided by Boobala and Joe, I removed the engine cowling to gain access to the ignition coil. First thing I discovered was that the proper sized feeler gauge would not slip between the edge of the flywheel and the core of the coil. So I removed the coil and using emery paper sanded the edge of the flywheel smooth as well as the face of the coil core where it fits the curved edge of the flywheel. (Both were very rusty.) Then with a .012" feeler gauge I reset the correct air gap between the two of them and tightened the coil down. Using a multi-meter I checked the resistance of the primary and secondary coils of the ignition coil. Both read within specs, indicating that the coil should be alright. So I reassembled the cowling and pull starter. I got my better half to hold the sparkplug body against the engine block. (By it's rubber boot, I didn't want her to have a shocking experience!) And I pulled over the engine.... no spark... Oh bummer... Just for the hell of it I disconnected the wire that comes from the key switch that grounds the coil to shut off the engine and pulled the starter rope again..... SPARK!!!! Beautiful SPARK!! I read the key switch again and now found a low resistance reading even with the switch in the OFF position. Yesterday I had not been able to obtain any reading through the switch at all.. I'm afraid that it is all corroded inside as every time I turned it ON and OFF the resistance reading would change. Same with the PTO switch which will also ground out the coil.. So now I have several grounds to run down, but that should be easy!! I was so excited to see a spark I couldn't wait to clean up my tools and come in and type this on the forum!!

This poor old machine may run again yet!!

More to come..

Roger

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Third Progress Report

I was going to test compression on the 12.5 HP Kawasaki before trying to actually start it, now that it has spark, but I couldn't wait. I stuck the old original NGK spark plug back in it, squirted some gas into the carb (the gas tank is not currently connected to the fuel pump) and pulled the recoil starter. The Kawa fired on the third try! Whoopie! I didn't try it again because the engine oil is old, so I drained that out and removed the old oil filter and then came in the house to research all the replacement parts I'll need now that I know the engine will run.

New NGK Spark Plug - BPR5ES. Almost 2 qts of SAE 10W-30 SF, SE, or SD oil. I found dozens of compatible oil filters to the JD AM107423 original. A new JD or Kawasaki air filter with foam pre-filter and some sort of fuel filter to replace the JD fuel filter kit AM116178.

Once all that is taken care off I'll really try to get it running... I was thinking of washing out the crankcase before refilling it with new oil.. Any suggestions??

Roger