Exmark Metro with Briggs Vanguard Not Shutting Off With Safety Switches

Joe2

Threads
  • / Exmark Metro with Briggs Vanguard Not Shutting Off With Safety Switches
Howdy all and thanks for taking the time to read my post.
Exmark M4815KA. Serial # 487995
Engine Briggs Vanguard Model # 350776. Type 1046-E2. Pull start
Problem: None of the safety switches work, trans neutral, operator presence or blade switches. I can only stop the engine with key switch
Research that I have done: According to the machine serial number, this mower came out with either a Kawasaki or Kohler engine. The Kawasaki engine has on on/off switch on the dash while the Kohler had a kill wire on the throttle control. This machine has the on/off switch so I'm assuming that it originally had the Kawasaki and someone installed the Briggs prior to me.
What I have checked: I used a continuity tester on all the switches, all good. Checked the wiring harness also with continuity tester, all good. All this lead me to believe that the safety interlock module was bad, so I swapped it out with one from a Exmark Viking. No change. Rechecked everything and all tested good. So I'm stumped on this one. I probably should bite the bullet and by a new safety interlock and see what happens.
Anyone have any ideas about this?
Thanks again for reading my post

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Could this be a case in which someone changed from an engine that needed electricity to run to one that needs the magneto shorted to ground to make it die?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Pull the blower housing and check that there is a small ( Kill ) wire attached to the coil.
This wire grounds the coil to stop the mower.
However on mowers with a fuel shut off valve, that will also stop the mower, but only on the ignition switch.

Thus you get mowers where none of the safetys work but the engine still starts & stops on the key.

Joe2

Threads
Thanks for reply's. The kill wire is hooked up and working and there is no fuel shut off valve/solenoid on the bottom of the carb, just the nut that holds the bowl on. I disconnected red kill wire from the machine harness, started engine and with a jumper wire, grounded the kill terminal that's on the shroud and engine stopped running. I traced the red kill wire and black ground wire and they both go through the safety interlock module and then to key switch as per Exmark's wiring diagram. So this leads me to believe that the module in not doing it's job. I'm going to buy a new module and install. I'll let ya'all know. Thanks again

Joe2

Threads
So I bite the bullet and bought a new switch, installed and no change :ashamed: So out of curiosity and with a little desperation mixed in, I swapped the red kill and the black ground wires. Lo and behold it started working :thumbsup: with the old switch. Thanks again