Kubota T1870 won't start

Grassnyer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,

After more than 8 years of reliable service, my T1870 lawn tractor (Kawasaki engine) started cutting out intermittently and won't start at all now. I noticed the 20A fuse was blown and replaced it. The starter cranks but if won't start. I have checked the fuel filter and pump, the air filter, spark on every cylinder, every safety interlock switch. I just can't find anything. What am I missing, folks?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hi,

After more than 8 years of reliable service, my T1870 lawn tractor (Kawasaki engine) started cutting out intermittently and won't start at all now. I noticed the 20A fuse was blown and replaced it. The starter cranks but if won't start. I have checked the fuel filter and pump, the air filter, spark on every cylinder, every safety interlock switch. I just can't find anything. What am I missing, folks?

Fuel, spark, compression & timing.

Get an inline plug tester a can of starter fluid.
Remove the air filter, fit the spark tester, crank the engine and give is some short small shots of starter fluid.
Nothing happens, then take off the blower housing remove the kill wire from the coil and repeat.
Nothing happens, no flashes from the tester = dead magneto

Occasional backfire = broken flywheel key or valves out of time

Flashes but no firing = valve problems or cam problem

Let us know the results.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I'd check the fuel shut solenoid on the carb.