Stihl BG50 Review

apwillard1986

Threads
I bought a new handheld blower a while back and figured I would post some impressions:

The Good:

It is lightweight. Very very lightweight. I lack the desire to swing a big handheld blower around and so a big selling point was just how lightweight and compact this thing is.

It is powerful. It is certainly all the power the average homeowner will every want or need.

It starts easily. Despite my preference for Stihl handheld ope I admit they have a well deserved reputation for being finicky to start or easily flooded. Particularly if the user is unfamiliar with Stihl's rather specific starting procedure. This blower starts as easily as my KM94r with the easy start feature. It starts in two to three pulls at the most but follow those starting instructions because if you don't you will flood it.

It is simple. It is just a blower. No cruise control or other features. If you just need a blower this is it.

The dealer experience. If you have never bought a piece of power equipment from a dealer you should do so at least once. I have an excellent local dealer who makes it a joy to do business. Old school customer service at it's finest. YMMV but most people prefer their dealer to the big box and that should tell you something.

The price. $129.00. Pretty hard to beat for the power, warranty, and ownership experience.

The Bad:

It is simple. I know I listed it as a positive but if you need attachments like a leaf shredder or gutter cleaner you are stuck. It is important to know that going in.

The fuel tank is tiny. I'm sure this is a concession to making it lightweight and compact. Even cleaning up my average sized suburban lot it uses a quarter to a third of a tank. I don't think it is inefficient but it's just such a small tank. Not a huge deal for residential use but a commercial guy might get sick of filling it.

No momentary shutoff switch. The switch to turn the machine off is a standard toggle. It is not unique in that regard but I cannot believe it costs manufactures that much more to install a momentary switch that defaults to the on position.

All in all an excellent value for money! I would highly recommend it to anyone in the market.

IMG_2235.jpg